OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a newer tank so I expected some type of algae. I waited until the LFS tested my water and said it was cycled. Then I went from a cheap light I had to the Hydra 32. I also had someone come out and do a par reading and help me set up my light through the app. The algae (probably coincidentally but not sure) started about the same time.
I did start dosing Microbacter 7 (only 3 days) and then talked to the LFS and watched some videos about Vibrant and decided to try that. Just in the 3 days with Microbacter 7, I don’t see any small silver balls anymore. But the algae started getting worse on the sand and rocks about the same time. I dosed Vibrant for the first time last night and already the sand has less algae. So hopefully I caught it early enough and that the vibrant is doing it’s job.
I also recently removed the black filter sponge and other stuff that the tank came with and replaced with something else (forget the name lol) I’ll have to check what it’s called lol. I also added a Hydor Koralia Pump yesterday to help with flow and dead spots. The anemone already looks happier and is finally moving out of this awkward crevice lol.
And I stopped dosing Microbacter 7 when I switched to Vibrant lol

Last edited:

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a newer tank so I expected some type of algae. I waited until the LFS tested my water and said it was cycled. Then I went from a cheap light I had to the Hydra 32. I also had someone come out and do a par reading and help me set up my light through the app. The algae (probably coincidentally but not sure) started about the same time.

And I stopped dosing Microbacter 7 when I switched to Vibrant Lolit
It’s funny because vibrant is what crashed my tank lol it didn’t like me xD it bottomed out my phosphates if the dinos/cyano comes back I would recommend rinsing your sand

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1716CA21-9C69-4A9B-AE38-9E6E536B8F04.jpeg

My pods came out of hiding

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why OP needs a microscope. Based on these pictures you ca not properly ID what is going on there.
dinos, cyano, diatoms even algae can have bubbles can look brown.
Yeah I’m working on getting one. My fiancé and I recently got scammed out of about $1600 so we’re still trying to recover from that since the bank denied recovery help.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think it’s cyano now that it’s spread a bit more
Cyano is the easiest to id by just looking at it. If you decide to buy a microscope go for a used one on eBay. Cost about £30 for an analog one. Besser does good ones.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had very good luck using phyto from algaebarn. It takes about two weeks to kick in but it’s worth the wait. So far I’m 2/2 in eradicating Dino’s when using it. Not sure if there are any strains though where it wouldn’t work.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had very good luck using phyto from algaebarn. It takes about two weeks to kick in but it’s worth the wait. So far I’m 2/2 in eradicating Dino’s when using it. Not sure if there are any strains though where it wouldn’t work.
There are but hopefully it is not one of them.

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up dosing with vibrant one time and skipping a water change for a week. And the problem was gone almost overnight and completely over a few days! Also added more clean up crew :)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back