Could this be dinos?

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a brown/green algae problem a while back that was completely eradicated but now it’s coming back looking different - it has bubbles.

I did increase light in the tank to help my corals regrow after the past algae bloom, since i dimmed the light for a few weeks to control the algae.

My tank looked clean for about 3 months and the past week i noticed some growth.

I had some zoas die from what i assumed was the lack of proper lighting for an extended period of time.

Other than that, my fish are fine and so is my cleaning crew.

I plan doing a bigger water change but read that for dinos it can make it worse.

(The leather coral in the picture looks like that because i accidentally tapped it while trying to do some cleaning)

IMG_6771.jpeg IMG_6768.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to ID dinos is with a cheap microscope. What are your current complete parameters? Can you get clear pics under white light.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a brown/green algae problem a while back that was completely eradicated but now it’s coming back looking different - it has bubbles.

I did increase light in the tank to help my corals regrow after the past algae bloom, since i dimmed the light for a few weeks to control the algae.

My tank looked clean for about 3 months and the past week i noticed some growth.

I had some zoas die from what i assumed was the lack of proper lighting for an extended period of time.

Other than that, my fish are fine and so is my cleaning crew.

I plan doing a bigger water change but read that for dinos it can make it worse.

(The leather coral in the picture looks like that because i accidentally tapped it while trying to do some cleaning)

IMG_6771.jpeg IMG_6768.jpeg
While microscope is the best way to determine type, you can often distinguish between dine, cyano and diatoms. This has the characteristics of dino. Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and again, its important though to identify the type of dino for most effective battle.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED AMINO OR ADD NOPOX which is food for dinos, however you can feed coral, food which will help no3 and po4 to increase. If increasing nutrients, try to keep no3 to about 5 until you are done battling these cells.
Doing a daily siphoning will help greatly But . . . . . Siphoning will reduce nutrients , so siphon the water into/through a filter sock and save the water and return it back to tank. Obviously clean the filter sock each time.
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While microscope is the best way to determine type, you can often distinguish between dine, cyano and diatoms. This has the characteristics of dino. Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and again, its important though to identify the type of dino for most effective battle.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED AMINO OR ADD NOPOX which is food for dinos, however you can feed coral, food which will help no3 and po4 to increase. If increasing nutrients, try to keep no3 to about 5 until you are done battling these cells.
Doing a daily siphoning will help greatly But . . . . . Siphoning will reduce nutrients , so siphon the water into/through a filter sock and save the water and return it back to tank. Obviously clean the filter sock each time.
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them
Oh no! Thanks for the detailed reply. I’ll try to get ahold of a microscope to be sure and if it’s really dinos (hope not …) i’ll know for sure the type

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eQTZSVE.jpg
VSxg4vZ.jpg
WXFREeZ.jpg
The only way to ID dinos is with a cheap microscope. What are your current complete parameters? Can you get clear pics under white light.
I only tested nitrates (3-4ppm) and will take a water sample to a store for the complete test.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

alyrchd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question, the smaller rocks i have can easily be taken out and brushed clean, should i do that or just the turkey baster method?

Upvote 0

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had dinos ( confirmed on macks dino facebook page after a microscope video and pictures) ours was very simple to defeat with silicates, but that turned as expected into diatoms and we're just coming out of a brown hair algae outbreak, one seems to lead into the other but nothing but time and the relevant treatments wont beat

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One question, the smaller rocks i have can easily be taken out and brushed clean, should i do that or just the turkey baster method?
While you can brush clean, follow the plan which will starve them of sources needed for reproduction and you will nip them in the bud

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back