Dino ID and Reef Crashing

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Need some help here from jumping off the ledge. Issues started about two days ago. I've caught a some velvet or flukes back in late Dec, so I've been running fallow. I started dosing nitrate\phosphate to keep system cranking. Well a few days ago it set in that I got dinos and for the last few days all corals have been paling out and melting. I've since done water changes, started running carbon and keeping P04 up as it did bottom to flat 0.00 on a hanna checker.

Could use some help here on the ID of the Dino and best action. I wasn't aware that Dinos can crash a system like this.

The video is at 1200X cheap microscope. Sorry about the choppy video.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad Dino problem and purchased a UV sterilizer. They started to clear up in about 18 hours. After a week, they were all gone.

Good luck.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell but looks like ostreopsis.

Does it appear on sand, rock, glass? All of above? Does it disappear at night?

I battled dinos for nearly two years. I avoided dosing anything and tried to control with husbandry etc. It didn't work. Killed all my SPS pretty quickly. Smothered everything. In the end I installed a UV directly in the DT and they were gone within a week. Ugh

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bare bottom frag system. it's on the glass, frag rackes, frag plugs. Not sure if it goes away at night, but I think not.

I know that corals all look really ticked and not happy. Not sure due nutrient drop or toxins....

Trying to pump nutrients in the system for past 24 hours.

Did add carbon some point yesterday afternoon and completed a 40% water change first things this morning.

Should I go lights out?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bare bottom frag system. it's on the glass, frag rackes, frag plugs. Not sure if it goes away at night, but I think not.

I know that corals all look really ticked and not happy. Not sure due nutrient drop or toxins....

Trying to pump nutrients in the system for past 24 hours.

Did add carbon some point yesterday afternoon and completed a 40% water change first things this morning.

Should I go lights out?
Lights out for 24hrs might provide some relief.

Do you have a UV? If they enter the water column at night, a UV will make short work of them.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Need some help here from jumping off the ledge. Issues started about two days ago. I've caught a some velvet or flukes back in late Dec, so I've been running fallow. I started dosing nitrate\phosphate to keep system cranking. Well a few days ago it set in that I got dinos and for the last few days all corals have been paling out and melting. I've since done water changes, started running carbon and keeping P04 up as it did bottom to flat 0.00 on a hanna checker.

Could use some help here on the ID of the Dino and best action. I wasn't aware that Dinos can crash a system like this.

The video is at 1200X cheap microscope. Sorry about the choppy video.

Looks to me like you have both large cell and small cell amphidinium which is kinda a tough combo.

Dose nitrates to >10 and Dose PO4 to .1 Goal is to feed competitive algae, bacteria other microorganisms. When you start seeing cyano, keep going.

Start dosing SpongeExcel for silicates to feed competitive diatoms against large cell.

Ironic, right?

UV for the small cell. 1 watt per 3 gallons. Run super slow flow TO/FROM the display. Don't worry, it isn't forever placement. Once in place, you can consider a blackout to get the small cells on the move and swimming for the UV light. These guys are armored protists, not wimpy little bacteria or algae; they need some contact time with the UV. Fast flow and they won't even get a tan.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back