Dino X and Cyano?

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I determined I had a Dino outbreak. Started using Dino X and now after 6 doses my Dino is fading, but now there’s a thick maroon algae building up. I believe it’s cyano. Has anyone had this experience?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I determined I had a Dino outbreak. Started using Dino X and now after 6 doses my Dino is fading, but now there’s a thick maroon algae building up. I believe it’s cyano. Has anyone had this experience?
Do you have a skimmer running? Dino X does not kill cyano apparently: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fauna-marin-ultra-algea-x.html

I presume if there is no skimmer or other methods of immediate nutrient export, all the killed dino and stuff will just release nutrients into the water that cyano can then use, thus just substituting one problem for another.

If you do have a skimmer running though... well there are other reasons, but let's get to that depending on the answer.

OP
OP
O

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer running? Dino X does not kill cyano apparently: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fauna-marin-ultra-algea-x.html

I presume if there is no skimmer or other methods of immediate nutrient export, all the killed dino and stuff will just release nutrients into the water that cyano can then use, thus just substituting one problem for another.

If you do have a skimmer running though... well there are other reasons, but let's get to that depending on the answer.
Yes I have had my skimmer running semi wet for the entire process. At the beginning of the cycle I did add a little acropower not releasing it wasn’t recommended, but haven’t added anything since the second dose of Dino x.

OP
OP
O

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just turn down the white lights ?
I did almost like a black out. I closed all the curtains in that room and let all the blues and white run their cycle for 5 hours instead of the 10 I had prior. It made a huge difference. The directions recommend 4 hour lighting I believe

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So I think I have dinos . I’m thinking of removing the sand bed to fix it not sure if this will work

part of me wants to let it play out and just heavy feed Coral b+ and reef roids ?

any recommendations? All my lights are under 10% white light now from the previous 30%

OP
OP
O

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I have dinos . I’m thinking of removing the sand bed to fix it not sure if this will work

part of me wants to let it play out and just heavy feed Coral b+ and reef roids ?

any recommendations? All my lights are under 10% white light now from the previous 30%
No nutrients cause Dinos. I personal refuse to remove my sand unless it’s a last choice. I’ve lost so much because of Dino’s now they are 90% gone I’m about to start another run of Dino X

SeaDeezCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished off my Dino cyano farm. I lost a bunch of pulsing Xenia, zoas, sps and a cleaner shrimp with all of my snails. The dinos declared war first. After 6 doses of Dino X, I was getting no results so I had to go nuclear. I filled a storage tupperware with saltwater and dipped every rock and critter in peroxide and left them in my tupperware quarantine tank. I scrubbed my rocks and turkey basted everything. I over dosed my tank with Dino x and vibrant. I left my mangrove and some cuc in th tank and did a 3 day complete black out. After 3 days, I did a 75% wc and a small dino x and vibrant dosing. I am on day 4 and my tank is back together and doing better than ever.

Attachments

• 8DE0FD30-F06A-470A-9C27-9B960587B6C7.jpeg
    8DE0FD30-F06A-470A-9C27-9B960587B6C7.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 51

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I just finished off my Dino cyano farm. I lost a bunch of pulsing Xenia, zoas, sps and a cleaner shrimp with all of my snails. The dinos declared war first. After 6 doses of Dino X, I was getting no results so I had to go nuclear. I filled a storage tupperware with saltwater and dipped every rock and critter in peroxide and left them in my tupperware quarantine tank. I scrubbed my rocks and turkey basted everything. I over dosed my tank with Dino x and vibrant. I left my mangrove and some cuc in th tank and did a 3 day complete black out. After 3 days, I did a 75% wc and a small dino x and vibrant dosing. I am on day 4 and my tank is back together and doing better than ever.
That is RIDICULOUS . In regards to DINOS being that resilient . Why not just remove sand ?

SeaDeezCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on my rock and all over my sand. Removing and replacing sand would have been just as much a pain. My big tipping point was my 4 rose bubble tip anemone committed bushido and turned into anemone soup the same night going through my wavemakers.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back