Dinoflagellate Type?

Alyssalaurente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef friends and experts!

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this type of dinoflagellate. On the sand bed, it looks more like diatoms. No appearance of stringy/snotty bubbles, just brown patches that appear during the day and vanish at night. Under the microscope they are not spinning.

Parameters:
Cal: 420
Alk 8.5-9
Phos: now bumped up to 0.04 ppm from 0.00 ppm
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm from undetectable
Test kit used: Hanna Checkers for Cal, Alk, Phos and API for nitrate

DINOFLAGELLATE MICRO.jpg DINOFLAGELLATE SAND BED.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great microscope shot! Looks actually like Diatoms to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alyssalaurente

Alyssalaurente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I thought diatoms have some spear structures extending from them? And that's so strange if they are diatoms because I noticed them pop up when my nitrates and phosphates were undetectable. Aren't diatoms caused from higher nutrient levels??

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Alyssalaurente

Alyssalaurente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pennate diatoms, actually. The primary source of nutrition is silicates and light.
Good reading here. https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-diatoms-and-dinoflagellates/
Ah interesting. That does look closer to what I'm looking at in the microscope. I'll try to siphon it out through filter sock first and see if that helps at all. But do diatoms have the characteristic of disappearing at night? I've been reading that dinos are the ones to do that. I just want to try my best to know exactly what it is so I can treat it without any casualties in my tank haha. Thank you for your help by the way! I appreciate it.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah interesting. That does look closer to what I'm looking at in the microscope. I'll try to siphon it out through filter sock first and see if that helps at all. But do diatoms have the characteristic of disappearing at night? I've been reading that dinos are the ones to do that. I just want to try my best to know exactly what it is so I can treat it without any casualties in my tank haha. Thank you for your help by the way! I appreciate it.
Treat em the same. They are both "Phytoplankton". They are both photosynthetic as well, so....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back