Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I even tried it through a coffee filter but they went right through since the species I had (Amphidinium) were only 10 micron. They're a lot smaller than Ostreopsis and a few other species.
May I as.. when a person wants to know the size of a cell is is that dependant on the scope used or is there an attachment a person can get for a scope?

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I as.. when a person wants to know the size of a cell is is that dependant on the scope used or is there an attachment a person can get for a scope?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an eyepiece with a measurement reticle like that, but I determined off papers and a photo found on Google. It's probably more accurate to say 12 - 15 micron, but 10 is close enough. This is an image someone else took and I attached photos I took of my species to confirm ID.

zFHf2kWh.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have dinos.
If you haven't taken the time to read through the thread, this treatment is in experimental phase. Twilliard has found a non abrasive method to eradication. He is attacking it's reproduction and eliminating reproduction. It isn't an overnight cure that will kill dinos. To the best of my knowledge, killing dinos can release toxins that can hurt the biology of your tank. He has identified his strain of dinos and is having much success. What we have learned is there are 2200+ species of dinoflagellates. Other members that are participating, have other species. However, they are all classified as protozoans.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't taken the time to read through the thread, this treatment is in experimental phase. Twilliard has found a non abrasive method to eradication. He is attacking it's reproduction and eliminating reproduction. It isn't an overnight cure that will kill dinos. To the best of my knowledge, killing dinos can release toxins that can hurt the biology of your tank. He has identified his strain of dinos and is having much success. What we have learned is there are 2200+ species of dinoflagellates. Other members that are participating, have other species. However, they are all classified as protozoans.
What im thinking is use metro to stop reproduction, and syphon them out during a water change. Maybe a 3 day blackout

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 day black out is up to you. It's not necessary. We are doing 250mg metro per gallon or 2 spoons per gallon of MetroPlex for 3 days. 4th day you should notice a difference.

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is Day 3 on my Dad's BioCube 29 using Metronidazole against Amphidinium carterae and a Symbiodinium lookalike. He is dosing 3 spoonfuls of MetroPlex (70% Metronidazole). Only 2 doses and he says he's already seen improvements. His water, when viewed from the side, used to be heavily yellowed/brown (something I noticed when I battled dinos as well). He says his water is much clearer though it still has a slight yellow tinge. Metro appears to be working as planned in keeping them broken up and suspended as his filter floss is catching significantly more than it ever has:

5ICGujgl.jpg

Clownfish, Yellow Watchman Goby and Skunk Cleaner Shrimp show no change in behavior, still eating well. Coral and Ball Anenome are unaffected. CUC doesn't appear to be affected. Collonista snails and Spirobid worms don't appear to be affected. Mini-brittle stars are also fine, and Copepods are active. Two things i've noticed: 1) Metro appears to have decimated the pineapple sponge population that used to live in his rear chambers, 2) Whether coincidence or not, i'm also no longer seeing red flatworms all over his glass.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently is just stopping the reproduction though correct?
We've noticed under the scope that once metro is introduced, the dinos become lethargic and disoriented. They no longer care to be in groups at this point. It's at day 4 that you'll be able to take a turkey baster and let them blow around the tank. Your mechanical filtration will collect the dinos in the water column.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is Day 3 on my Dad's BioCube 29 using Metronidazole against Amphidinium carterae and a Symbiodinium lookalike. He is dosing 3 spoonfuls of MetroPlex (70% Metronidazole). Only 2 doses and he says he's already seen improvements. His water, when viewed from the side, used to be heavily yellowed/brown (something I noticed when I battled dinos as well). He says his water is much clearer though it still has a slight yellow tinge. Metro appears to be working as planned in keeping them broken up and suspended as his filter floss is catching significantly more than it ever has:

5ICGujgl.jpg

Clownfish, Yellow Watchman Goby and Skunk Cleaner Shrimp show no change in behavior, still eating well. Coral and Ball Anenome are unaffected. CUC doesn't appear to be affected. Collonista snails and Spirobid worms don't appear to be affected. Mini-brittle stars are also fine, and Copepods are active. Two things i've noticed: 1) Metro appears to have decimated the pineapple sponge population that used to live in his rear chambers, 2) Whether coincidence or not, i'm also no longer seeing red flatworms all over his glass.
Nice work!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've noticed under the scope that once metro is introduced, the dinos become lethargic and disoriented. They no longer care to be in groups at this point. It's at day 4 that you'll be able to take a turkey baster and let them blow around the tank. Your mechanical filtration will collect the dinos in the water column.
Amd this can be introduced into the dt without harm to coral correct?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha ran across this little piece...

Also, ran across paper looking at MTZ toxicity on a few aquatic species.
Good news, they dosed massive amounts (30x the amount recommended here) and couldn't kill copepods.
Which means at least one important class of dino grazers is unaffected by the drug.
Amd this can be introduced into the dt without harm to coral correct?
So far nobody has experience any negative side effects.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5ICGujgl.jpg

That is spectacular!
Exactly how they responded in our tank.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @reeferfoxx for keeping people updated I have been looking into a better scope. I got a sample in yesterday (bacteria) that my scope is having a hard time with.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @reeferfoxx for keeping people updated I have been looking into a better scope. I got a sample in yesterday (bacteria) that my scope is having a hard time with.
You're welcome! This is your niche. That sounds like a wise investment. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back