Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've been dealing with for about 12 months...

I have been blowing them off everything in the frag tank a couple of times a day. Also some crazy algae that wont go away. I change socks a few times a week and started the AF program 6 weeks ago it has helped dramatically but they are not gone. Since this thread I have dosed the sechem product 3 times. Appreciate all of everyones efforts hope to have some positive results to report in a few weeks!

Can anyone suggest where to get more than the seachem sends it is a very small amount in that container?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've been dealing with for about 12 months...

I have been blowing them off everything in the frag tank a couple of times a day. Also some crazy algae that wont go away. I change socks a few times a week and started the AF program 6 weeks ago it has helped dramatically but they are not gone. Since this thread I have dosed the sechem product 3 times. Appreciate all of everyones efforts hope to have some positive results to report in a few weeks!

Can anyone suggest where to get more than the seachem sends it is a very small amount in that container?

Oh my sorry for that!
First have you tried this
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/positive-identification-of-cyanobacteria.253287/
Let's eliminate any possible algae first

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matt just snot on everything? Goes away when lights are off. Recedes at middle of light cycle as well. Full force at lights on. Bubbles everywhere.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not so hopeful on metro.

redid my plumbing and bubbles were as expected without peroxide.

im not being a negative nancy, but if this does work, it is not immediate and has a delay.

just my observation 2 days in.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not so hopeful on metro.

im not being a negative nancy, but if this does work, it is not immediate and has a delay.

I believe I saw someone mention they read metro is destroyed by oxidizers like h2o2.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not so hopeful on metro.

I wouldn't dose h202.

In the first 3 days of dosing metro my growth has slowed only in areas I've physically cleaned. Just observing my progress thus far, looks to me like the growth has slowly shifted from the tops of my rocks and regrouped to the sandbed. Twilliard has said multiple times that a change why not be noticeable till day 10. I don't plan on doing a water change in that time, unless the regrouped dinos disperse into a flatter appearance.

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not so hopeful on metro.

Metro isn't an instant fix. According to what we know so far, it interferes with the cell's ability to reproduce. Since there will be no new generations of dinos following what you see now, you won't see a change until the current cells reach the end of their life cycle. That life cycle, from what Twilliard said, is 10 - 14 days. After that point, you have a lot of brown detritus in your tank and not living dinoflagellates. Patience.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, not sure if it matters.. I went ahead and did a few water tests. I tested ammonia just for heck of it.

This is 14 hours after 3rd dose of 750/mg per day for 30 gallon tank.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrates = 0
Phosphates = 0.00
pH = 8.2

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro isn't an instant fix. According to what we know so far, it interferes with the cell's ability to reproduce. Since there will be no new generations of dinos following what you see now, you won't see a change until the current cells reach the end of their life cycle. That life cycle, from what Twilliard said, is 10 - 14 days. After that point, you have a lot of brown detritus in your tank and not living dinoflagellates. Patience.
Not a problem there and to me thats considered a cure because u wont get any more and its just a waiting game for the last to die!

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this study on the life cycle of Ostreopsis ovata. Let's hope Metronidazole interferes in some way with the cysts ability to progress since it destroys DNA.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568988314000171
New observations on the life cycle stages of Ostreopsis cf. ovata are reported in the field and in cultures samples from the northern Adriatic Sea (Mediterranean Sea). Cultures ofO. cf. ovata were performed using both replete and N-free growth media and analyzed for 5 months. Ostreopsis cells displayed a high morphological variability. Some cells were characterized by the presence of orange accumulation bodies, which represented a signal of stress conditions. Two mechanisms of gamete mating seem to occur. In the first (already reported) vegetative cells conjugated through the epitheca without plasmogamy; in this regard we observed a new ‘process’ on the top of the epitheca which might represent a structure involved in this mating mechanism. In the second, small cells acting as gametes were aligned laterally with the two cingula perpendicular to each other. Meiosis possibly occurred as suggested by tetrad formation, originating four vegetative cells. At least two types of cyst were formed, a non-dormant (pellicle) cyst germinating within 2 days and a resting cyst which is able to germinate after a 5-month dormancy only at temperatures over 25 °C.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did WC also add a bag filled with filter floss in front of the return pump will blow off the Rock and sand some more when I get in from work.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following Are these dinos?
lPF-SaHBirt132FlsOXiKfojdWmY0cmnYhYkpLFvM65Sh-U4R2iNTJpggUUHYA5VqY0WInd8ztSm5Oo7KxlRvX9qNkSPzuG5ccdUQTM3AZsJsag_l_Y_FFPZ33DT0StdOTtPzsTQKWEN-jTEUKAElfE7pWPor7Pa7xHPb-Qx2gLJndUdeh8t0_b_9yylhf9Q19EKiihfU7jQqDAJPNjUAGvQgDWiYkCWxX4Rmc5QcmD1iyP2LFQ4lZ0HY75kyJ6Hxs6FzSmQBW29gNqH-B5mAFFYGSqjddTSgr2bVGUN7SBwb0Ly67FOPJt8oEFvoWvk9Rd2xmx5InU8ASHJNpGz5tEIryUFKUoc03XlWhcx0qYuS5O_GkmeVzdyN5uzZJM6mWujg0t42Bi9K-Xe0n_aHbUZdNvMOKxNwKlJ5ObWu0LDRDxmBOfUQkFHqdlclu6MuRuxJQxAxgfHO2ntbf3hDWqe9rC0uTCyU2nX-4pnTPrgiMaG2pLl8obJZE600u7SkqFWmdRzNmf5Cx3WXfa70KA7NhRpP9ESxTvrshBFRKsuXA8FZcJkZx31NKfetxOX3URuNDXeEemcUFtSW-08s0OmdPtvwMg=w720-h1280-no

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 45.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back