Dinoflagellates, ID; Amphidinium

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 11, 2018
Messages
72
Reaction score
16
Location
Lehigh valley
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, battling dinos right now, bought a microscope to get some better and larger images, i figured these images/videos could maybe be useful for people trying to ID, this is Amphidinium, not sure if large or small cell but someone else can try to confirm. i did a 3 day blackout to no avail. I fixed my nutrients and now am dosing silicates to try to promote a diatom bloom. anything that is not the common path to get rid of these guys would be greatly appreciated, they are so ugly!

WIN_20260515_11_11_14_Pro.jpg WIN_20260515_11_18_18_Pro.jpg
 

Attachments

  • WIN_20260515_11_11_18_Pro.mp4
    84.5 MB
  • WIN_20260515_11_14_12_Pro.mp4
    76.2 MB
Hey everyone, battling dinos right now, bought a microscope to get some better and larger images, i figured these images/videos could maybe be useful for people trying to ID, this is Amphidinium, not sure if large or small cell but someone else can try to confirm. i did a 3 day blackout to no avail. I fixed my nutrients and now am dosing silicates to try to promote a diatom bloom. anything that is not the common path to get rid of these guys would be greatly appreciated, they are so ugly!

WIN_20260515_11_11_14_Pro.jpg WIN_20260515_11_18_18_Pro.jpg
Doesn’t look like amphidinium. Google amphidinium images for a comparison.
 
Hey everyone, battling dinos right now, bought a microscope to get some better and larger images, i figured these images/videos could maybe be useful for people trying to ID, this is Amphidinium, not sure if large or small cell but someone else can try to confirm. i did a 3 day blackout to no avail. I fixed my nutrients and now am dosing silicates to try to promote a diatom bloom. anything that is not the common path to get rid of these guys would be greatly appreciated, they are so ugly!

WIN_20260515_11_11_14_Pro.jpg WIN_20260515_11_18_18_Pro.jpg
Doesn’t look like amphidinium. Google amphidinium images for a comparison.
I thought amphidimium because it does not go into the water column at night, but I could be wrong! I will double check, what do you think it is?
 
I thought amphidimium because it does not go into the water column at night, but I could be wrong! I will double check, what do you think it is?
I have seen these in my system and thought they were some type of dinoflagellate but I did not pursue identification.
 
I thought amphidimium because it does not go into the water column at night, but I could be wrong! I will double check, what do you think it is?
I have seen these in my system and thought they were some type of dinoflagellate but I did not pursue identification.
Did you get rid of them? If so how?
20260515_180009_1CF22967-E7D2-4649-8F13-B4019EBDFAF2.png

Here’s a current pic of tank, lost some coral due to this “organism” smothering some of it which led me to Dinos. Gets very stringy and came back after a 3 day blackout
 
so after some more digging it appears as prorcentrium dinos, here is my reference photo and a pic i took on the microscope. appear as same shape and roughly same color, but they do NOT leave the sand at night.

WIN_20260516_10_27_32_Pro.jpg Screenshot 2026-05-16 102956.png
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new