dinoflagellates or Cyano ?

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the introduction of a BP reactor strip too much nutrients out of a system too fast which can cause a shock effect. I havent experienced shock in removing BP reactors. I would caution shutting down one if for only a short time. Doing so can kill the bacteria on the pellets in the reactor...and could likely create a nasty smelling and outright putrid situation. Don't ask me how I know... Suffice...it was an experience I don't like... re-living. When you fire it back up...and the smell hits you, it is too late as the contaminated water is already in your system. Removing some pellets is an ok approach. I have taken three offline with little shock.... what I saw was tanks that seemed to suddenly pop...

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a few weeks ago my sand and rocks start to cover with this thin film of brown slime.
cyano photo.jpeg

I started to make some water changes weekly , but it get worst everyday, some soft corals like GSP and zoas keep close.

maybe this video help to idenfy:

Crap. Kinda looks like mine. No clue how is bee low nutrients

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post on the dino thread linked previously! There are multiple types of dinos. Some respond quickly to UV, others not at all. All can be improved with increasing biodiversity and nutrients. Good targets are 0.06-0.12 on PO4, 5-10 on NO3. Do not run biopellets, GFO unless nutrients are sky high.

Some species are very toxic, especially when they die. Getting an ID of the specific type on the dino thread will help decide how urgent it is to run carbon to remove the toxins. Ostreopsis is very toxic.....amphidinium is on the other end of the scale.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back