Dinos or Diatoms?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same. I would bet here it's Amphidinium. I had a mix of Ostreopsis and those. Ostreopsis disappear quickly with UV, Amphidinium doesn't. You kill one and there is more food for the other. Fortunately it seems that you do not have too much of those for now.
I am still battling it but after the last blackout they did not come back anymore (for now.....)
What I did prior to the blackout was silicate dosing (1-2ppm /day) together with phyto dosing, increasing pH with a skimmer, kept nutrients high (NO3 at around 10-15ppm, PO4 cannot be measured reliably when dosing silicate) and added a tiger conch.
Then I did a 3 days blackout after cleaning the most of the dinos I could see, kept UV on 24/7 for the blackout time and kept adding SiO2. Now after 4 days I still have white sand. Hopefully it will remain like that.

edit. For SiO2 dosing I use waterglass. It's from a Spanish company and they specify the Si concentration on the bottle, so I can dilute it accordingly. It was like 8€ for 1l and you make hundreds of bottles of "sponge excel"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Magic eraser? The sponge that cleans walls ? lol or is it a solution? I’m debating if I should go with the sponge excel that made for aquariums or the other product the gentleman recommended that’s not an aquarium product. I’m kind of nervous adding regular water glass :/
Yes, that magic eraser. Works wonders and safe
Many stores sell them as algae sponges( biggest retail ripoff) at$3 each

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Magic eraser? The sponge that cleans walls ? lol or is it a solution? I’m debating if I should go with the sponge excel that made for aquariums or the other product the gentleman recommended that’s not an aquarium product. I’m kind of nervous adding regular water glass :/
Magic eraser is sold as algae sponges in many per stores and people don’t realize what they’re buying and paying $3 for one(price of a box)
As for sponge, this was meant for a different post - I have too many windows open on my phone
Beginning, I gave you run down on diatoms- that’s the one to follow

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for a water glass product? Will the sponge expel from brightwell work ? It’s silicate ment to feed sponges etc. if not which water glass product do you use ?

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get a notification on this. I would not dose water glass blindly (without microscopic ID). Diatoms look very similar and if that's what it is you will make them much worse. Invest in a microscope....it's a great tool for any reefer and lots of fun too. This is a good choice that won't break the bank. Amazon product

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 190 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back