Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A little over a week ago I fixed what I thought was a Dino problem. I did a 3 day black out and went through the Dr. Tim’s treatment. Today I come back from a long weekend and my rocks have the same brown stuff growing on them and a little on the sand bed. I don’t think they are Dino’s because my PO4 is at .04 and NO3 5ppm.
Back story on the tank. This was a quarantine project. I upgraded to a 75 from my 55. This new set up has been running since April 5th so it’s still pretty dang new. Am I just going through an ugly phase and over reacting? I tried to sit back and let everything do it’s thing until there was a thick brown layer on the sand bed. Any input is very much appreciated!!!!

OP
OP
Stu_Tanks

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pics

2C3B397F-7258-4810-B548-54497A1FBD38.jpeg A748B5E5-D84E-41E2-A124-24016055D98D.jpeg 8D5E8AB0-6D84-4C41-94DC-6D3565A611FC.jpeg 9ED2CCF4-0093-45DB-AB1E-A7835EB76442.jpeg

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you see some brown strings with bubbles, they are Dinos. If not, they are probably diatoms.

Riphter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino’s. Silicate leeching from new sand or rocks after upgrade. I’ve come to the realization that blackouts do not clear dinos. If there is Silicate then they will show up. Gotta let them burn up there resources. Vacuum them out with water changes. Test your water source for silica.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A little over a week ago I fixed what I thought was a Dino problem. I did a 3 day black out and went through the Dr. Tim’s treatment. Today I come back from a long weekend and my rocks have the same brown stuff growing on them and a little on the sand bed. I don’t think they are Dino’s because my PO4 is at .04 and NO3 5ppm.
Back story on the tank. This was a quarantine project. I upgraded to a 75 from my 55. This new set up has been running since April 5th so it’s still pretty dang new. Am I just going through an ugly phase and over reacting? I tried to sit back and let everything do it’s thing until there was a thick brown layer on the sand bed. Any input is very much appreciated!!!!
Blackout 5 days and dr Tims during the day is good but Not the cure.
Here is the plan to get rid of this AND IT DOES WORK:
Starting tonight. . . . Turn off whites and run your blues at 5%. If you don't have a lot of coral, just go black (all lights off ) for 4 -5 days. Room lights ok. Dose 1ml of peroxide per 10 gals each night. During the day using same dosage. . dose bacteria supplement such as bacter 7 or the Tims you mentioned.
Blow off the loose dino daily and either net it or let it run into filter. Clean filter pad(s) each day. Do not feed any coral food or NoPox additives as they are food for the dinos.
DAY 4-5 YOU WILL COME TO REALIZE. . . IT IS GONE !!! DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NoPox. It is food/fuel for dinos

OP
OP
Stu_Tanks

Stu_Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Blackout 5 days and dr Tims during the day is good but Not the cure.
Here is the plan to get rid of this AND IT DOES WORK:
Starting tonight. . . . Turn off whites and run your blues at 5%. If you don't have a lot of coral, just go black (all lights off ) for 4 -5 days. Room lights ok. Dose 1ml of peroxide per 10 gals each night. During the day using same dosage. . dose bacteria supplement such as bacter 7 or the Tims you mentioned.
Blow off the loose dino daily and either net it or let it run into filter. Clean filter pad(s) each day. Do not feed any coral food or NoPox additives as they are food for the dinos.
DAY 4-5 YOU WILL COME TO REALIZE. . . IT IS GONE !!! DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NoPox. It is food/fuel for dinos

I’m not even completely sure if they are Dino’s though. If they are I may give this a shot. I have 2 kessil a160’s and one ATI blue plus for lights. Should I just turn my color down all the way for kessils? I do have a fair amount of coral throughout the tank and have a couple more coming from the WWC sale..

Back