Dipping Palythoas

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want a quick confirmation on procedure for dipping palys. I originally wasn't going to have any, but got a combo pack and well, I really do love how they look so...

Was planning on dipping and quarantining as I've done before - CoralRx then Bayer Insecticide, then 3-4 weeks in quarantine (or more depending). I have 8 new zoas, 2 palys, 1 birds nest and a leptoseris in same shipment. Was planning on using same dip for all but the palys (which would be done in different baths). I have fully mature 10 gal QT tank that I'll have new GAC and perhaps new polyfilter pad.

Using normal precautions - goggles, my heavy duty gloves to the elbow, good ventilation. I'm also not scrubbing, cutting, fragging at this time (although at end of QT I do put on new plug).

Anything else I need to be concerned with or other precautions I should take?

Thanks...Qm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just decided they're not worth the worry and am getting rid of the Palys. I've had them in the house for an hour and wondering how to manage them and the risk is all I can think about (which is why I didn't want them in first place - wife has asthma/lung issues). This isn't why we got into the hobby.

Yeah, I might be overreacting over nothing...but life's too short to take on more worry. That's what the kids were for. :) I do wish the vendor had specified paly's would be included in the zoa pack but was also half expecting this anyway as they are grouped together in the hobby...so no hard feelings and will be using them again just because the quality and service are great. And I absolutely LOVE the selection and size of zoas sent. Won't use vendor name on this thread - it's in my build though.

Thanks again all...Qm.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all palythoas have the toxin. It's generally the protopalythoas that are more commonly known to have it.

If you have some of the more common palythoas in the hobby. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you have some knew and unknown morph, I'd be a bit more concerned as we know little about it.

However, do what you feel makes you feel safe.

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it. I was back on the fence this morning. Read some articles and I think because of some of the physical characteristics these have I think these are probably on the lower side of the 'imminent death' scale.

Plus what I'm really worried about is aerosolization of the toxin. And well, I'm not careless by nature and not an idiot (in general - can be on specifics occasionally). And using a knife to remove the paly to a new plug is not the same as using a band saw to cut up a large colony. Also not going to boil rocks - ever. And really, there's hundreds of things in my house that could go airborne and cause issues most of which I'm probably not aware of and probably don't take anywhere near the precautions I'm going to with these guys.

Thanks for the advice though. Had the feeling I may be overreacting a tad. Although to be honest, if these were mottled brown, tan and a light green - probably not going anywhere near them. Purple (and not labelled "death" seem to be fine largely).

Last edited:

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some plain brownish green ones growing for a decade, never a problem but I too decided it was not worth finding out the hard way so I ditched the couple rocks they were on as well. Most likely not an issue but did not want to worry about it if my tank crashed while I am not home and my whole family is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back