Dirty hands in tank

vinrok031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I been reefing for about 3 years now and I struggle from not being able to get my hands in my tank from working on cars all week and having oil soaked hands.....anyone else a mechanic by trade and how do you work around this?

IMG_20231223_132154356.jpg

T€rm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m retired now , but I always would wear latex gloves while working on anything, also washed my hands with stoko hand cleaner and the washed up at home with blue dawn before going into the tank . Never had an issue!

The stoko hand cleaner has no harsh chemicals in it and works so much better than any clearers with kerosene or other chemicals.

Attachments

• IMG_2774.png
    IMG_2774.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 35

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use gloves when working on cars and they will protect you and your tank from chemicals. There are chemicals in oil and grease that can be absorbed through your pores.
I'm a hypocrite tho :face-with-hand-over-mouth: . I was an auto tech for over 30 years and could never get used to working in gloves. I would put a pair on before driving a customers car because it was faster than going to wash up. I worked flat rate so time was money. I have a pair of shoulder length gloves but can only use them to move things like rocks, nothing small and delicate.
I used a hand cleaner of sorts (your choice what works best for you) then I finish washing my hands and arms with dawn dish soap and rinse well. I actually developed the habbit of washing with dawn before putting my hands in the tank anytime now even tho I'm not longer wrenching.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and tongs. Good for not needing to get your actual hands in the tank.
And don't lift rocks with them. I was using grabbers to move a rock the other day and dropped it on my largest acro colony. I now have two small colonies and a bunch of frags :crying-face:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely not! Except little bitty rocks. For smaller things, like displaced frags and stuck hermits, I have two pairs of tongs; a 12" carbon fiber type pair that floats when dropped, and about a 24" stainless steel pair. Couldn't tell you where to get the latter, it was a Christmas gift.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used something like these since I started my tank 4 years ago. Still going strong. I don't put my hands in the tank at all without gloves. One, skin oils, dirt, grease, etc. but the other reason is an aquarium isn't something I want bare hands in at all.

Gloves

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I been reefing for about 3 years now and I struggle from not being able to get my hands in my tank from working on cars all week and having oil soaked hands.....anyone else a mechanic by trade and how do you work around this?

IMG_20231223_132154356.jpg
I was for years and yes this was always a problem for me as well. I got a long set of gloves I would use if I needed to get my hands in the tank as I was never sure even if my hands looked clean what may have been on them.( it not always great to have your bare hands in your tank for your health as well)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back