Rex150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can velvet or brooklynella stay dormant in a clownfish for 4 weeks without appearing?

I think my clownfish I have had for almost a month is starting to exhibit symptoms of brooklynella.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can velvet or brooklynella stay dormant in a clownfish for 4 weeks without appearing?

I think my clownfish I have had for almost a month is starting to exhibit symptoms of brooklynella.
Brook has a direct life cycle and is opportunistic and reproduces asexually and once on a fish multiplies quickly. What often happens is that when they are treated and gone, often a followup treatment is warranted as they can return, as perhaps in your case. Velvet is a flagellate and most often once treated and gone remains as such.
Acriflavine as contained in Ruby Rally Pro is an ideal follow-up treatment and is reef/invert safe. poor water quality is often responsible for return as fish are stressed, immunity system weaken and allow these parasites to survive and reproduce.

OP
OP
R

Rex150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook has a direct life cycle and is opportunistic and reproduces asexually and once on a fish multiplies quickly. What often happens is that when they are treated and gone, often a followup treatment is warranted as they can return, as perhaps in your case. Velvet is a flagellate and most often once treated and gone remains as such.
Acriflavine as contained in Ruby Rally Pro is an ideal follow-up treatment and is reef/invert safe. poor water quality is often responsible for return as fish are stressed, immunity system weaken and allow these parasites to survive and reproduce.
Also, can parasites like that survive longer in a tank with no fish but with coral than in a tank with neither?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also, can parasites like that survive longer in a tank with no fish but with coral than in a tank with neither?
With no fish, there is no host and will shorten their cycle

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So there’s no need to take my coral out and put in quarantine, right?
To clarify- this is display tank which will be fishless- no fish
If so- leave coral and inverts in there

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back