Disinterested Banggai

OhioFrank28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Fri 2/19 I picked up a large, tank bred and raised Banggai from a nearby LFS and he hasn’t really eaten anything since, MAYBE 2 pieces of mysis. He just sits and hides in the corners of the tank, watching his reflection. I’ve tried fish eggs, different brands of brine and mysis and pellet food. It will be floating right in front of his face and he could care less.
There are only 2 other fish in the 75gal tank, a very small Ocellaris and medium sized Pajama Cardinal, neither of which I have seen bully the Banggai.
His mouth/jaw does not appear to be distended in case he had eggs in there. Check water params weekly and all normal.
Any ideas/suggestions? I almost wonder if I can return this guy to the LFS for a less picky one before he starves in my tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Some good pics of the fish may help some of the experts on here help you out.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Fri 2/19 I picked up a large, tank bred and raised Banggai from a nearby LFS and he hasn’t really eaten anything since, MAYBE 2 pieces of mysis. He just sits and hides in the corners of the tank, watching his reflection. I’ve tried fish eggs, different brands of brine and mysis and pellet food. It will be floating right in front of his face and he could care less.
There are only 2 other fish in the 75gal tank, a very small Ocellaris and medium sized Pajama Cardinal, neither of which I have seen bully the Banggai.
His mouth/jaw does not appear to be distended in case he had eggs in there. Check water params weekly and all normal.
Any ideas/suggestions? I almost wonder if I can return this guy to the LFS for a less picky one before he starves in my tank.
mine did this for about 3 days. I finally got some brine shrimp, and eggs. that worked too well. they'd eat that and nothing else. then I didnt feed for 1 day...apparently everyone almost starved. now they all eat flakes etc..

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing. For thr first few weeks all it ate was 1 or 2 pieces. I gone through 3 of these guys until the final one I had now, like I said were fussy the first few weeks -- and now eats like a champ.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing. For thr first few weeks all it ate was 1 or 2 pieces. I gone through 3 of these guys until the final one I had now, like I said were fussy the first few weeks -- and now eats like a champ.
not weeks. days! too early

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not weeks. days! too early
The one that survived didn't even eat the first few days. I even posted my concern on it on here. Yours at least eats a piece or two.

Just needs time. Prolly stressed.

Sorry I meant to reply to the thread starter. My bad.

OP
OP
O

OhioFrank28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is yours wild caught or Captive Bred? Wild caught Bangaiis are known for not doing well.
Was captive bred. The guy is huge, so apparently was eating hardy at the LFS. I went and got the same foods they were feeding him and he still doesn’t care. I don’t usually get concerned of just a few days, but this guy is going on 2 weeks this Fri.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wrasse that hid for almost a week before he came out and finally started eating. I guess the empty belly won! Sometimes certain/new fish have to get use to their new surroundings!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back