display tank with two sumps

jwroble611

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've begun setting up my first larger reef tank. I currently have an 80 gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump. I was going to begin plumbing but had an idea of adding a 150 gallon rubbermaid that i have sitting around to the system. Is there a way to do this and would it even be worth it? The only reason i am thinking of doing this is to have all the equipment in the rubbermaid and then have the 75 gallon sump as a refugium. The extra water volume would be a plus as well. I was thinking I would have the display drain into the rubbermaid which would be raised higher than the refugium so it could then drain into the refugium. A pump would then be put in the refugium to return to the display. Any ideas?

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on making partitions in the rubbermaid? How much equipment are you planning on using?
A 75 gallon is a pretty large tank as it is. I imagine you could still have a pretty hefty refugium in it, even if you put quite a bit of equipment in it.
although, more water more stability... and cleaning.

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind with the extra volume youll have to do larger water changes to have a noticable effect, and evaporation will increase. You'll spend alot on salt, rodi maintenance, and heaters for an 80 gallon display. Just my 2 cents :)

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you put it together. You could overflow the display into the 75, the 75 into the Rubbermaid then pull the display return out of the Rubbermaid.

I'm currently finishing up a 300 build that is running the DT, two 40B's and a 75g refugium. the 40's and 75 are run off of their own return pump. Those three and the DT drain into a sump and then into a 100G Rubbermaid. The DT is then fed from a return off of the Rubbermaid (hopefully this makes sense). I think it's all on how you pipe the system together and what you're going after.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back