Diving back in after a few years

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I started my first tank in 2008 (went big with a 120 gallon to start) and have had many since then. I had a kid a few years ago AND we started a big construction project on our house so I was forced to shut down my RSR 170. Now that things are settling down again, I started looking around and my wife okayed a bigger tank to put in our new hallway. I got an amazing deal on a Red Sea Reefer 350 which I set up about a month ago.

I'm going to take things slow and keep it running but empty for a few months. I have a trip to the Maldives in February and hoping to get some inspiration then. The tank is fully cycled and I wanted to get thoughts on if I should keep my lights on and let it go through the ugly phase now or let the tank sit with the lights off until I am ready to add livestock. I have always been an impatient reefer in the past so I'm trying a new approach lol.

I've been active in my local forums but this is actually my first Reef2Reef post! I'm excited to contribute! I'll post a build thread of what I have so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I started my first tank in 2008 (went big with a 120 gallon to start) and have had many since then. I had a kid a few years ago AND we started a big construction project on our house so I was forced to shut down my RSR 170. Now that things are settling down again, I started looking around and my wife okayed a bigger tank to put in our new hallway. I got an amazing deal on a Red Sea Reefer 350 which I set up about a month ago.

I'm going to take things slow and keep it running but empty for a few months. I have a trip to the Maldives in February and hoping to get some inspiration then. The tank is fully cycled and I wanted to get thoughts on if I should keep my lights on and let it go through the ugly phase now or let the tank sit with the lights off until I am ready to add livestock. I have always been an impatient reefer in the past so I'm trying a new approach lol.

I've been active in my local forums but this is actually my first Reef2Reef post! I'm excited to contribute! I'll post a build thread of what I have so far.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
Sbk89

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! Glad to hear you have a chance to dive in again! I'm in the 'keep it dark until corals' camp... seems to help the algae growth.

That's what I'm leaning towards as well. I couldn't find anything in the forums talking about a long period of lights off after cycling so glad to hear your preference.

Part of me was thinking that I can just try to tackle algae problems over the next couple months and just keep CUC. Other part was thinking that if I let my tank mature, the algae problem won't be as bad. The hard part is staying patient and looking at an empty tank for a few months.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! Personally, I think you are just putting off the inevitable. I’d rather deal with the uglies without having to worry about their affect on my corals. Just easier without having to worry about the corals being smothered. That is just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Sbk89

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you are here! Personally, I think you are just putting off the inevitable. I’d rather deal with the uglies without having to worry about their affect on my corals. Just easier without having to worry about the corals being smothered. That is just my 2 cents.
I was hoping the tank would be more stable after 3 months and be able to handle the algae better but I guess that isn’t a lot of time. I have a fuge and have been doing water changes and my nitrates are ~3ppm. I’m dosing ammonium chloride once a week and can get ~2ppm to 0 in 24 hrs.

If I do get a really bad algae bloom, I would probably wait to add coral until it gets better. If there won’t be a difference between now and 3 months, then I agree with you that taking care of it now is better. I have nothing else to do anyways lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back