Diving back in after a few years

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping the tank would be more stable after 3 months and be able to handle the algae better but I guess that isn’t a lot of time. I have a fuge and have been doing water changes and my nitrates are ~3ppm. I’m dosing ammonium chloride once a week and can get ~2ppm to 0 in 24 hrs.

If I do get a really bad algae bloom, I would probably wait to add coral until it gets better. If there won’t be a difference between now and 3 months, then I agree with you that taking care of it now is better. I have nothing else to do anyways lol.
The uglies last about a year, in my opinion mostly unavoidable. I wouldn’t have the patience to wait a year to add corals. I’m just saying bring them on sooner and they’ll be easier to deal with.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I started my first tank in 2008 (went big with a 120 gallon to start) and have had many since then. I had a kid a few years ago AND we started a big construction project on our house so I was forced to shut down my RSR 170. Now that things are settling down again, I started looking around and my wife okayed a bigger tank to put in our new hallway. I got an amazing deal on a Red Sea Reefer 350 which I set up about a month ago.

I'm going to take things slow and keep it running but empty for a few months. I have a trip to the Maldives in February and hoping to get some inspiration then. The tank is fully cycled and I wanted to get thoughts on if I should keep my lights on and let it go through the ugly phase now or let the tank sit with the lights off until I am ready to add livestock. I have always been an impatient reefer in the past so I'm trying a new approach lol.

I've been active in my local forums but this is actually my first Reef2Reef post! I'm excited to contribute! I'll post a build thread of what I have so far.
If you go to theMaldives I think you will find plenty of inspiration, live sand, live rock, etc! Welcome to Reef2Reef!

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my first tank was also a 120 gallon.
A 120 gallon Topfin from PetSmart to be exact.

1704372142654.jpeg

OP
OP
Sbk89

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies last about a year, in my opinion mostly unavoidable. I wouldn’t have the patience to wait a year to add corals. I’m just saying bring them on sooner and they’ll be easier to deal with.

Oh wow this is my 7th tank and I don't think I've ever had it last that long. I'm usually able to get it under control in a few months. Actually, my last tank was a bare bottom with dry rock and it surprisingly never went through it.

But good call! I'll keep my lights on and see how bad it gets. I haven't seen anything on R2R about people leaving their tank without livestock and lights on for an extended period of time after cycling so I'll provide feedback on how it goes!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I also got a reefer 350 G2 at the beginning of 2023. Happy with it so far. Agree with the no lights til they're needed approach. Check out my 350 for ideas on what to do or not to do, if you so please. Plenty of other 350 threads around as well.

reefingreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Everyone!

I started my first tank in 2008 (went big with a 120 gallon to start) and have had many since then. I had a kid a few years ago AND we started a big construction project on our house so I was forced to shut down my RSR 170. Now that things are settling down again, I started looking around and my wife okayed a bigger tank to put in our new hallway. I got an amazing deal on a Red Sea Reefer 350 which I set up about a month ago.

I'm going to take things slow and keep it running but empty for a few months. I have a trip to the Maldives in February and hoping to get some inspiration then. The tank is fully cycled and I wanted to get thoughts on if I should keep my lights on and let it go through the ugly phase now or let the tank sit with the lights off until I am ready to add livestock. I have always been an impatient reefer in the past so I'm trying a new approach lol.

I've been active in my local forums but this is actually my first Reef2Reef post! I'm excited to contribute! I'll post a build thread of what I have so far.
Hey welcome back to the hobby!! I wonder if the cycle might end though, since there will no ammonia to feed the bacteria? Just food for thought!

OP
OP
Sbk89

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome back to the hobby!! I wonder if the cycle might end though, since there will no ammonia to feed the bacteria? Just food for thought!

I still have a bunch of ammonium chloride from the fishless cycle and have been dosing that once a week to 2ppm. Hopefully that’s enough to keep them happy for a while lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back