Diy 210 Gallon Stand

tlatix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i'm building stand for my 210 oceanic tank measure of 72 x 24 x 29. I've sketch up a design and i would like no brace in center anyone with experience can help me see if this is strong enough?

Total weight with water would be around 2000 lbs.
With rock/decor/live stock I would like this to support around 2500 lbs.
Went with 2x6 for support and the rest is 2x4.

Thanks
210 gallon.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without question, top frame is 2 x 6....all others can be 2 x 4's....and no center brace is needed. Here's the "engineered" design for dimensional stands:

Stand.JPG

The general rule is tanks under four feet....all boards 2 x 4's. OVer four feet, top frame 2 x 6's. Top this stand with 3/4 plywood to flatten the imperfections in the dimensional lumber. Skin the stand to keep it from racking.

OP
OP
tlatix

tlatix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without question, top frame is 2 x 6....all others can be 2 x 4's....and no center brace is needed. Here's the "engineered" design for dimensional stands:

Stand.JPG

The general rule is tanks under four feet....all boards 2 x 4's. OVer four feet, top frame 2 x 6's. Top this stand with 3/4 plywood to flatten the imperfections in the dimensional lumber. Skin the stand to keep it from racking.

This design should work for my tank then if swap to 2x6 for top and bottom rail then the rest is 2x4?

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2X6 on top, 2X4 on bottom to keep legs from spreading because of weight. Correct.

Seanage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. Here what i got final. Does this look right for 2500 lbs support?
210 gallon revision.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Now you're only 34 inches high. Is a sump going below the tank? If so, will the planned skimmer fit in and out of the sump? Just make sure that's good.

Oh, and welcome to R2R! :D

Seanage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Now you're only 34 inches high. Is a sump going below the tank? If so, will the planned skimmer fit in and out of the sump? Just make sure that's good.

Oh, and welcome to R2R! :D
Thanks, its fresh water planted tank for now so no skimmer. just normal sump if i can find one for sale.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, its fresh water planted tank for now so no skimmer. just normal sump if i can find one for sale.
You lost me at fresh water... haha jk. What program do you use to design this stand?

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. Here what i got final. Does this look right for 2500 lbs support?
210 gallon revision.jpg

I would put in another vertical support on the front and back. 6ft is quite long and you don't want any deflection in the middle really.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the vertical support 'posts' are the most overkill in these designs - a single 2x4 at each corner is more than strong enough for the compressive force. It's just easier to build (and still cheap) with all those extras. The horizontal beams are where we need to be more careful - so yes 2x6 at a minimum. I like your redraw. Like RFBF said, plywood skin on at least the back, if not both sides as well, to prevent racking is advised. With mine I went overkill on the front beam, don't regret that at all:

new_stand-jpg.485512

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old Thread but i would like to make my 6 foot stand 40" -42" High for a 210. yes i know i'll need a ladder to get in the tank. who these designs still work for that height? With the overflow the front of the stand will be 30" away from the wall. should i make it wider and double up the 2x6 on the top frame?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old Thread but i would like to make my 6 foot stand 40" -42" High for a 210. yes i know i'll need a ladder to get in the tank. who these designs still work for that height? With the overflow the front of the stand will be 30" away from the wall. should i make it wider and double up the 2x6 on the top frame?

Yes - the height isn’t the worry. The weak spot is typically the 6’ front beam that everyone wants as open as possible. Doubled (sistered) 2x6 is cheap insurance. Front to back isn’t long enough to worry about. If the back of the stand is skinned with plywood then that adds a lot of strength to the back 6’ beam and sistering isn’t necessary there.

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response.i'm going to place two tanks next to each other, a 210 (6') and a 75 (3'). the 75 tank has its own stand but the wife wants them to match so.. yea. LOL. Should i make two stands 6'+3' or just make a long 9' tank. I can add a center brace at 5' in the front so the front is 2 sections 5' and 4'. I would like to avoid doing them at every 3ft' . I will support the back every 1.5' or 2', double 2x6 on top front and top back.3/4 plywood wrap all the way around, and everything will be glued and pre Drilled. and then i'll add the Trimming. she sent me this picture and said it has to look at least this good to stay in the livingroom.LOL i'm also going to add some corbels and any 4"-8" shiny Stone lip.

125g specialty stand and canopy going to Florida. Anthias style with Fitz finish!2.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy heck. Sounds like you've got the right ideas in terms of structure. All that ornamentation isn't my style - but good luck with it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back