DIY Acrylic & Mesh Screen Top

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon R2R

Has anyone made their own acrylic and mesh screen top? I'm thinking something similar to what I know Clearvue is making now, but DIY. Post pictures if you have! Let's see them!

My tank is rimmed, and I'm thinking of cutting acrylic sheets to span the depth of the tank (24"). There will be one on each end, plus one across the middle support, framed by long pieces running down the length on the sides as well to create a framed square. Then clear mesh spanning the gap between them. I'll make some cut-outs for feeders, cords, etc. I hate the look of splined pieces, but also don't want to drop $250+ on a custom one from the Clearvue or another retailer.

I'm sure someone has made one before. Thoughts?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon R2R

Has anyone made their own acrylic and mesh screen top? I'm thinking something similar to what I know Clearvue is making now, but DIY. Post pictures if you have! Let's see them!

My tank is rimmed, and I'm thinking of cutting acrylic sheets to span the depth of the tank (24"). There will be one on each end, plus one across the middle support, framed by long pieces running down the length on the sides as well to create a framed square. Then clear mesh spanning the gap between them. I'll make some cut-outs for feeders, cords, etc. I hate the look of splined pieces, but also don't want to drop $250+ on a custom one from the Clearvue or another retailer.

I'm sure someone has made one before. Thoughts?

Not acrylic, but you can make a nice fitting DIY top out of screen spline. Here's mine:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 4.jpg

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not acrylic, but you can make a nice fitting DIY top out of screen spline. Here's mine:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 4.jpg
DSC_2133.JPG
20190727_092205.jpg

I built this one from polycarbonate and mesh i had left over from the jump guard kit for my other tank.

Ohhh! Very nice and sleek. I love the look of both of these.
@Wayne1712 , how did you attach your mesh?
@Sierra_Bravo which kit did you use? I used one for my QT tank and I absolutely hated the way it came out. Yours looks much cleaner.
@90's reefer Eggcrate doesn't give the look I'm going for, but thank you for the suggestion.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh! Very nice and sleek. I love the look of both of these.
@Wayne1712 , how did you attach your mesh?
@Sierra_Bravo which kit did you use? I used one for my QT tank and I absolutely hated the way it came out. Yours looks much cleaner.
@90's reefer Eggcrate doesn't give the look I'm going for, but thank you for the suggestion.

Three tricks: 1) Use internal aluminum screen corners instead of the plastic ones. They allow you to butt the joints and create both inside and outside corners. 2) Use an adhesive when you assemble the corners to keep the joint rigid and strong. 3) Use 3-d printed cutouts for the small openings, such as the wire access. I found mine through a local fish store who had a contact, but I've also seen them on eBay.

Wayne1712

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thin polycarbonate beading cut to the size of the opening then glued in place with mesh inbetween

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back