DIY acrylic pod hotel

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my daughter, an architecture studen, is going to build me a small acrylic box to use as an in tank pod hotel. The question we have is what to use to attach the pieces of acrylic together. Will plasti weld be aquarium safe or is there something else she should use.
Thanks
Virginia

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest reading the acrylic fabrication thread. It is loaded with extremely helpful advice.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60AEE948-E330-495F-A379-D9AAB0010ABD.png
This is what she has on hand. Just wondering if it’s aquarium/fish safe. I did read some on the suggested thread but didn’t see this particular product mentioned.
Thanks

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. Not familiar with it. Weldon 3/4 is pretty much the industry standard.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Floy R Turbo might know if it is an acceptable acrylic solvent.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld-on is a combination of Methylene Chloride and Trichloroethylene. Looking at the MSDS for Plastic Weld, it appears it is a mixture of methylene chloride and methyl ethyl ketone. Either one should work for your purposes. They are both solvent cements - they melt the acrylic and then the two pieces fuse together as the solvent evaporates. As long as they fully evaporate, nothing toxic should get in your tank.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld-on is a combination of Methylene Chloride and Trichloroethylene. Looking at the MSDS for Plastic Weld, it appears it is a mixture of methylene chloride and methyl ethyl ketone. Either one should work for your purposes. They are both solvent cements - they melt the acrylic and then the two pieces fuse together as the solvent evaporates. As long as they fully evaporate, nothing toxic should get in your tank.
Thank you so much.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my daughter, an architecture studen, is going to build me a small acrylic box to use as an in tank pod hotel. The question we have is what to use to attach the pieces of acrylic together. Will plasti weld be aquarium safe or is there something else she should use.
Thanks
Virginia
If you have any pvc cement that you may have used for plumbing joins check if it contains methyl ethyle ketone. Most pvc cements do. If yes, it is very good for joining acrylic.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back