DIY algae reactor plumbing help

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice...

I'm working to build a DIY algae reactor and picked up a Somatic on sale this week before actually thinking it through. My problem is the reactor only takes 1/2 inch tubing and all the pumps I can find with the needed head height are all 3/4 or larger.

My original plan was to have the intake line in the back of my AIO that fed to an external pump in cabinet to the somatic reactor (also in cabinet) and then the return line would be fed up into one of the return nozzles back into the display. Basically....intake line > external pump > Reactor > return line > return nozzle.

Any ideas or guidance on this plan? Or anyone know of a pump with around 8 feet of head that accepts 1/2 tubing or a way to step down from 3/4 to 1/2 safely?

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice...

I'm working to build a DIY algae reactor and picked up a Somatic on sale this week before actually thinking it through. My problem is the reactor only takes 1/2 inch tubing and all the pumps I can find with the needed head height are all 3/4 or larger.

My original plan was to have the intake line in the back of my AIO that fed to an external pump in cabinet to the somatic reactor (also in cabinet) and then the return line would be fed up into one of the return nozzles back into the display. Basically....intake line > external pump > Reactor > return line > return nozzle.

Any ideas or guidance on this plan? Or anyone know of a pump with around 8 feet of head that accepts 1/2 tubing or a way to step down from 3/4 to 1/2 safely?

BRS has some reducers that will fit on your 3/4 pump and reduce it down to a 1/2 size to then insert a barb fitting for your tubing. I have the same issue!

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has some reducers that will fit on your 3/4 pump and reduce it down to a 1/2 size to then insert a barb fitting for your tubing. I have the same issue!
Thanks...happen to have a link handy? I tried to find a reducer at BRS last week but probably overlooked.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...happen to have a link handy? I tried to find a reducer at BRS last week but probably overlooked.

Go with this one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-reducing-bushing-slip-x-slip.html to reduce the 3/4 to 1/2 inch. The 3/4 end should just slide into the pipe (you may want a union in between honestly to make cleaning the reactor easier. Then you can slide this one into the 1/2 end and connect your hose to the barb. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/90-elbow-barb-x-spigot-street.html

This is what I'm doing for mine! But you can email BRS and verify that this will work (I still need to do that), and they can direct you if I'm totally wrong!

OP
OP
Scubasteve11

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with this one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/schedule-80-reducing-bushing-slip-x-slip.html to reduce the 3/4 to 1/2 inch. The 3/4 end should just slide into the pipe (you may want a union in between honestly to make cleaning the reactor easier. Then you can slide this one into the 1/2 end and connect your hose to the barb. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/90-elbow-barb-x-spigot-street.html

This is what I'm doing for mine! But you can email BRS and verify that this will work (I still need to do that), and they can direct you if I'm totally wrong!
Thanks for the info! Will definitely look into this option.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back