DIY Algae Scrubber or Market ?

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey !

I am currently in the middle of rebuilding my 20 Nuvo I had broken down a while ago due to bryopsis!

I currently have all my corals and my pair of clowns in a 10G breeder which will be converted into a Coral QT once by build is done.

I have been using this time to really dig deep into what can cause problems in a tank in terms of nuisance algae.

for the the first few months my 10G breeder was up, I had bryopsis and bubble algae growing on frags. Ever since, I began to really keep a weekly testing regimen and brushing coral skeleton when needed and I have not seen a sight of any bryopsis or algae. I believe one of the biggest contributors has to be nutrient control.

THE QUESTION IS, I am looking for an ATS for my future build. I am going AIO so no actual sump is available. Would you guys go DIY on the ATS , or is their a brand you guys have a experience with that is easy to install, use, and efficient that does not break the bank ?

if DIY, how would you go about making one that is not very uncomfortable for a nano?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at your nutrient levels to begin with. Get them under control then get the fuge to keep them under control. I just went through this myself. It was all 100% my own fault. I was letting the filter socks go to point they were completely clogged up and my nitrates were almost 50 and my phosphates were over .3. My chaeto would not grow at all. I have since cut back on the amount I was feeding and changing the filter socks every other day regardless how they look. After 2 weeks and a couple large water changes my nitrates are 8.2 and phosphates are 0.04 and my chaeto went from a racket ball size piece that would tumble nicely to the size of a melon that is too large to spin! I also added a sea hare 2 days ago, he hasn’t done much as far as I can see but hopefully he will start making a dent in the hair algae soon. You can do it, just takes diligent staying on top of!

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 20-gallon I'd look at a refugium instead. InTank makes a refugium basket for the IM.
Hmmm, i haven’t considered one, although u do like how refugium dams can host great micro fauna. I am not familiar with how easy it is to control nutrients. How does this compare to an ats that can be turned on and off ?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 20-gallon I'd look at a refugium instead. InTank makes a refugium basket for the IM.
Hmmm, i haven’t considered one, although u do like how refugium dams can host great micro fauna. I am not familiar with how easy it is to control nutrients. How does this compare to an ats that can be turned on and off
I would look at your nutrient levels to begin with. Get them under control then get the fuge to keep them under control. I just went through this myself. It was all 100% my own fault. I was letting the filter socks go to point they were completely clogged up and my nitrates were almost 50 and my phosphates were over .3. My chaeto would not grow at all. I have since cut back on the amount I was feeding and changing the filter socks every other day regardless how they look. After 2 weeks and a couple large water changes my nitrates are 8.2 and phosphates are 0.04 and my chaeto went from a racket ball size piece that would tumble nicely to the size of a melon that is too large to spin! I also added a sea hare 2 days ago, he hasn’t done much as far as I can see but hopefully he will start making a dent in the hair algae soon. You can do it, just takes diligent staying on top of!
yes I have brought my nutrients back to >.05 phosphates and my nitrates stay between 15-25 PPM. This tank Uc urgently have set up is being used as a holding tank with 4 hammer corals and 2 clowns, which will soon be transferred into my build.

how does a fuge compare to an ATS ? I don’t feed heavily and I have not fed my corals in a while, so my pho so hates stay below .1 at most. I am having trouble with nitrates, as I would like them at 10 ppm. I recently added more bio media as this holding tank is bare bottom

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how important is nutrient control ? If my nutrients were to stay stable, is there still a chance of having problems with nuisance algae ?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fuge and ats sorta work in the same manner….light/water/algae/nutrients….. ats grows hair algae over a plastic screen with the use of 2 led grow lights, btw you can diy one of these for a fraction of the cost of buying one. And a fuge grows macro algae. As the algaes grow in either one you want to trim it back. This is the way you are “exporting” the nutrients from the tank. The algae is absorbing the nitrate and phos to grow, if it dies for any reason it will release it all back into the tank which would be bad!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient control is very important. You don’t want them too high because then you get bad algae, but you also don’t want them bottoming out because that can lead to dinoflagellates

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how important is nutrient control ? If my nutrients were to stay stable, is there still a chance of having problems with nuisance algae ?
Yes, you will not starve out bryopsis without doing bad things to your tank. That said if it does come back, attack it before it gets long (I used a DIY “F Aiptasia”). I still get the occasional sprig show up, the key is catching it early.

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, i haven’t considered one, although u do like how refugium dams can host great micro fauna. I am not familiar with how easy it is to control nutrients. How does this compare to an ats that can be turned on and off

yes I have brought my nutrients back to >.05 phosphates and my nitrates stay between 15-25 PPM. This tank Uc urgently have set up is being used as a holding tank with 4 hammer corals and 2 clowns, which will soon be transferred into my build.

how does a fuge compare to an ATS ? I don’t feed heavily and I have not fed my corals in a while, so my pho so hates stay below .1 at most. I am having trouble with nitrates, as I would like them at 10 ppm. I recently added more bio media as this holding tank is bare bottom
If you are not a heavy feeder and if your primary filtration is strong, I feel regular water changes with control over light/food/flow should balance out your nutrients import-export

Later as tank matures, you can think of Fuge or ATS.

Thanks

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient control is very important. You don’t want them too high because then you get bad algae, but you also don’t want them bottoming out because that can lead to dinoflagellates
I have been very diligent about keeping nutrient in an acceptable range. I have had battles with all sorts of algaes and bacteria : Dino, Bryopsis, Bubble Algae, Turf Algae. This led to my breakdown of my nuvo 20.

Even though I understand stability is key, have you guys experience problems while your tank was in a stable period ?

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you will not starve out bryopsis without doing bad things to your tank. That said if it does come back, attack it before it gets long (I used a DIY “F Aiptasia”). I still get the occasional sprig show up, the key is catching it early.
This is important in my experience. This is why I set up a Coral QT! I remember this as if it was yesterday, where a frag I bought showed signs of Bryopsis.

A week later, it began to grow. My mistake was scrubbing it in the tank where I released many spores into the water and caused Mayham.

i am now going to run a Coral QT 24/7 as i believe this will allow me not only to prevent before introducing to DT, but in case I missed any pest or nuisance algae, have a place to remove and relocate the frag

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not a heavy feeder and if your primary filtration is strong, I feel regular water changes with control over light/food/flow should balance out your nutrients import-export

Later as tank matures, you can think of Fuge or ATS.

Thanks
Definitely. Like Derrick0580 mentioned, I think a DIY ATS would be a cheaper and effective means of controlling these nutrients. I would like to try my best to limit any high range of nutrients from the bat.

I will only be keeping primarily LPS in my Nuvo 20, so my tank does not have to be too ‘clean’.
Thanks for the input !

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. Like Derrick0580 mentioned, I think a DIY ATS would be a cheaper and effective means of controlling these nutrients. I would like to try my best to limit any high range of nutrients from the bat.

I will only be keeping primarily LPS in my Nuvo 20, so my tank does not have to be too ‘clean’.
Thanks for the input !
No worries

As LPS is yr goal in the new set up, you will always need some traceable nutrients in the system. And if filtration, Diy ATS and water changes start stripping yr system of nutrients, feeding can always be increased or take one of the thing offline.

This way you will have multiple ways to control the nutrient import-export.

Thanks

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries

As LPS is yr goal in the new set up, you will always need some traceable nutrients in the system. And if filtration, Diy ATS and water changes start stripping yr system of nutrients, feeding can always be increased or take one of the thing offline.

This way you will have multiple ways to control the nutrient import-export.

Thanks
Definitely ! Sometimes multiple weekly water changes in the beginning is very tiring g, especially when nitrifying bacteria is slowly growing.

i Definitely want to have a redundant nutrient export!

i currently have a holding tank that will turn into a Coral QT once I’ve setup my Nuvo. There’s no algae on it but I am going to go the DIY route for a scrubberand test it out on this tank as my nitrates are on the higher end .

thanks !

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ! Sometimes multiple weekly water changes in the beginning is very tiring g, especially when nitrifying bacteria is slowly growing.

i Definitely want to have a redundant nutrient export!

i currently have a holding tank that will turn into a Coral QT once I’ve setup my Nuvo. There’s no algae on it but I am going to go the DIY route for a scrubberand test it out on this tank as my nitrates are on the higher end .

thanks !
Another thing that i have been following for last 7 years being in the hobby is, i don't go just by the numbers. If those numbers are manifesting in any form in the system only then i take some action. But YES i do keep a track.

That's my view though.

Thanks

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing that i have been following for last 7 years being in the hobby is, i don't go just by the numbers. If those numbers are manifesting in any form in the system only then i take some action. But YES i do keep a track.

That's my view though.

Thanks
Thats something I’m realizing as well. I don’t like to chase numbers but I do allow a range of parameters in my tank.

sometimes I’ve noticed tanks are not always happy, even with ‘optimal’ parameters.

do you have any experience with any refugium or ATS ?

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats something I’m realizing as well. I don’t like to chase numbers but I do allow a range of parameters in my tank.

sometimes I’ve noticed tanks are not always happy, even with ‘optimal’ parameters.

do you have any experience with any refugium or ATS ?
Refugium yes. in my last 180g system i had a fuge. pretty decent size. For my next build i am thinking of an ATS as it will be FOWLR with relatively heavy feed.

But what i noticed is the frequency with which i used to harvest cheato (almost 8-10 days a 2.5gallon bucket full). it didn't export the nutrients that much (or maybe it was actually doing its job) as i was feeding coral food which is known to spike po4. Since i had lps and softies mostly it didn't bother me much as it needed some no3 and po4. Water changes used to be 25% monthly.

I am yet to figure out what are the actual parameters that could qualify as 'optimal' :worried-face: . There are tanks thriving with parameters off the chart and again as you said there as tanks which are struggling even with NSW parameters. Sometimes i feel the water chemistry is way intertwined or we as hobbyists over complicate stuff.

Keep it Simple and play safe i would say.

Thanks

My last tank
1653762819861.jpeg

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium yes. in my last 180g system i had a fuge. pretty decent size. For my next build i am thinking of an ATS as it will be FOWLR with relatively heavy feed.

But what i noticed is the frequency with which i used to harvest cheato (almost 8-10 days a 2.5gallon bucket full). it didn't export the nutrients that much (or maybe it was actually doing its job) as i was feeding coral food which is known to spike po4. Since i had lps and softies mostly it didn't bother me much as it needed some no3 and po4. Water changes used to be 25% monthly.

I am yet to figure out what are the actual parameters that could qualify as 'optimal' :worried-face: . There are tanks thriving with parameters off the chart and again as you said there as tanks which are struggling even with NSW parameters. Sometimes i feel the water chemistry is way intertwined or we as hobbyists over complicate stuff.

Keep it Simple and play safe i would say.

Thanks

My last tank
1653762819861.jpeg
Amazing tank man ! Is this still running ?

i like the idea of a refugium, however I think I’m going to go ATS ! I’ll make one soon and upload the build here with a brief Description of the build.

I’ll post pics of my current holding tank soon to be a QT coral tank !
Have you had any problems with any nuisance algaes ever since you’ve had your refugium ?

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank man ! Is this still running ?

i like the idea of a refugium, however I think I’m going to go ATS ! I’ll make one soon and upload the build here with a brief Description of the build.

I’ll post pics of my current holding tank soon to be a QT coral tank !
Have you had any problems with any nuisance algaes ever since you’ve had your refugium ?
Unfortunately had to take down this beauty last year due to some unavoidable situations.

Yes ATS is good. Fuge you need to have a separate tank or space in the sump. ATS that way needs just water supply. light ofcourse applicable for both.

With fuge, my glass/sand used to be clean. Once a week cleaning. What i noticed at times is, if i delay the harvest beyond certain period my parameters used to go bit up especially po4 and sand used to start getting brownish. This could be due to top layer dying off as chaeto movement not happening once the space is full and things getting released back .

Thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back