OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for Sharing! I know if must have been hours and weeks of research and planning and for you to share links just saved me alot of time.
Glad it could help someone. It did take a little bit. Mostly finding the right container and lights… Post pics of your version so we can see how it turns out. Maybe you’ll think of a better way to do things as you get building it or something to help the next guy out. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on my grow out system which is three 50 Gal bins plumbed together, so a 150 I guess. For the bio load it’s a hair undersized but that could also be due to the lack of flow and how long I run the lights. It’s definitely working. Just not as fast as I’d like to see. The first month or so I had it on there it cleaned my sump up pretty good. The next month or so it cleaned one of the three bins almost perfect. And now it’s moved on to the next bin. So it’s working. Just not super fast. But then again for that being the only thing I’m doing to get rid of the algae I’d say that’s pretty good. I haven’t changed my feeding and I rarely remove algae by hand. Just don’t have the time lately which is why I employed a new method of filtration. To give you an idea of bio load; I have 2 triggers, 2 tangs, 4 clowns, 3 damsels, and I’m pretty sure there’s a couple gobies in there that I never see but a couple times a month. I feed once a day with pellets and frozen mysis. Definitely over feeding but I didn’t want to change anything after adding the ATS. I can say with confidence that it’s working. Hope that helps give you an idea how to size it. What size of tank are you putting it on? You can always adjust how long you leave the lights on and how much flow to put through it. I’m definitely not running it to its full potential either.

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on my grow out system which is three 50 Gal bins plumbed together, so a 150 I guess. For the bio load it’s a hair undersized but that could also be due to the lack of flow and how long I run the lights. It’s definitely working. Just not as fast as I’d like to see. The first month or so I had it on there it cleaned my sump up pretty good. The next month or so it cleaned one of the three bins almost perfect. And now it’s moved on to the next bin. So it’s working. Just not super fast. But then again for that being the only thing I’m doing to get rid of the algae I’d say that’s pretty good. I haven’t changed my feeding and I rarely remove algae by hand. Just don’t have the time lately which is why I employed a new method of filtration. To give you an idea of bio load; I have 2 triggers, 2 tangs, 4 clowns, 3 damsels, and I’m pretty sure there’s a couple gobies in there that I never see but a couple times a month. I feed once a day with pellets and frozen mysis. Definitely over feeding but I didn’t want to change anything after adding the ATS. I can say with confidence that it’s working. Hope that helps give you an idea how to size it. What size of tank are you putting it on? You can always adjust how long you leave the lights on and how much flow to put through it. I’m definitely not running it to its full potential either.
Well I have 2 systems i plan on making for each one a 75ga w/40b sump and another frag system 50 lowboy,20t display refugium and 40b sump. I literally just ordered one of those light before seeing this thread, but I do have grow light aswell which I'm going to try before opting for the lights you used. This is awesome. Thx btw.looks pretty simple. I have some cereal containers im going to try to use since they aren't being used for anything else.

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to paint or coat the box? And does it sit on a rack or down in the sump?
I just used plastic spray paint. I only painted the outside. Taped off a square for the windows to let the light in. I just made a little shelf that sits across the top of my sump that it sits on.

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have 2 systems i plan on making for each one a 75ga w/40b sump and another frag system 50 lowboy,20t display refugium and 40b sump. I literally just ordered one of those light before seeing this thread, but I do have grow light aswell which I'm going to try before opting for the lights you used. This is awesome. Thx btw.looks pretty simple. I have some cereal containers im going to try to use since they aren't being used for anything else.
Right on! Good idea.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! Good idea.
Dang it! I almost finished this build without a trip to HD,but it turns out I need a 1/2 pvc cap so I have pressure on the spray bar. Not bad for having almost everything on hand
20220121_134143.jpg
20220121_134151.jpg
20220121_143844.jpg

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried making an up-flow version with a project box and an airstone, and some submersible aquarium lights?

How do those compare to your designs? I’m working with an AIO so I’m going with a DIY design like Santa Monica scrubbers.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried making an up-flow version with a project box and an airstone, and some submersible aquarium lights?

How do those compare to your designs? I’m working with an AIO so I’m going with a DIY design like Santa Monica scrubbers.
No I haven't but Diy king has a few on YouTube. Im actually in process of making a reactor algae scrubber for my waterbox20.i just need to add a pump,hose and light. Thinking on making a light box to keep the light from spill
20220128_172936.jpg
20220128_172941.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back