DIY Algae Scrubber

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or they could just look at this one haha! No JK. I read your post on UR. That was a really good write up man. Gives a lot of info.
I’ve seen these but never gave them much consideration. Do they work better than the typical down flow style? Does the glass ever get covered in algae before the screen? I like the smaller footprint, that’s a big plus. As long as you have the available surface area on the glass that is.
ATS that works for YOU is best.. different types may achieve different results - I don't have strong views on upflow vs downfloat ATS.. One thing I learnt however - is that it's best to do a "proper ATS", i.e. slightly more sophisticated than a pre-made box put together with lights..

The reason being is that the device will probably last your for the rest of your reefing days (not that you need to change it unless you upsize the tank..) and you will want to have the ease and convenience of maintaining it: easily cleanable enclosure, easily removable screen, adjustabe drains, no light spillage, fans on heatsink.. I built my "proper ATS" after having built and used a less sophisticated version of it for about a year - it worked well, but I saw a need to have a "proper ATS". This is the thread for "old ATS" I made (when I was a newbie).

Last edited:

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen these but never gave them much consideration. Do they work better than the typical down flow style? Does the glass ever get covered in algae before the screen? I like the smaller footprint, that’s a big plus. As long as you have the available surface area on the glass that is.
Depends on your maintenance and availability of space. Mine works best because I have my sump in the basement and tank on main floor. It is a separate fish room. I also have a large sump with area to have the light outside the tank up against the tank with no major obstructions. The light overflow is also not a huge concern and is not much.

I do have to clean the acrylic (in my case) when I clean out the UAS. No big deal for me to do. They collect a ton of hair algae and I love the simplicity. I can make one in minutes if I decide it is too old or not large enough or too big, or just want a fresh one. Cost is minute.

These will not work for everyone though. I have the room and set up for this style. I am sure you could make a drop in one with the right materials and know how. This is just easier for me. I do not need it to look pretty. :)

I do love the separate ones like you built though. Just never wanted to go through the effort of building one and not the expense of buying one. :)

I have had the waterfall type and it did not work in my system well at all. Just a space issue. I have also had a floating style, but that got in the way eventually too. So, back to my HO.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your maintenance and availability of space. Mine works best because I have my sump in the basement and tank on main floor. It is a separate fish room. I also have a large sump with area to have the light outside the tank up against the tank with no major obstructions. The light overflow is also not a huge concern and is not much.

I do have to clean the acrylic (in my case) when I clean out the UAS. No big deal for me to do. They collect a ton of hair algae and I love the simplicity. I can make one in minutes if I decide it is too old or not large enough or too big, or just want a fresh one. Cost is minute.

These will not work for everyone though. I have the room and set up for this style. I am sure you could make a drop in one with the right materials and know how. This is just easier for me. I do not need it to look pretty. :)

I do love the separate ones like you built though. Just never wanted to go through the effort of building one and not the expense of buying one. :)

I have had the waterfall type and it did not work in my system well at all. Just a space issue. I have also had a floating style, but that got in the way eventually too. So, back to my HO.
Space is clearly an issue, at least for me.. I always wanted to have a refugium and having decided on having ATS I basically sacrified protein skimmer (never had one) as there is really no space for it in the sump..

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS that works for YOU is best.. different types may achieve different results - I don't have strong views on upflow vs downfloat ATS.. One thing I learnt however - is that it's best to do a "proper ATS", i.e. slightly more sophisticated than a pre-made box put together with lights..

The reason being is that the device will probably last your for the rest of your reefing days (not that you need to change it unless you upsize the tank..) and you will want to have the ease and convenience of maintaining it: easily cleanable enclosure, easily removable screen, adjustabe drains, no light spillage, fans on heatsink.. I built my "proper ATS" after having built and used a less sophisticated version of it for about a year - it worked well, but I saw a need to have a "proper ATS". This is the thread for "old ATS" I made (when I was a newbie).

Well clearly it’s not up to everyone’s standards, but for those of you who’s standards it does meet; The point of this DIY build was to offer people an alternative to the name brands in a similar shape, look, footprint, function for much less money and very little time.

damaneice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer5640 Your build looks great. Did it end up growing lots of algae for you? I am thinking of copying your build.

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer5640 Your build looks great. Did it end up growing lots of algae for you? I am thinking of copying your build.
Yeah it does pretty good. I’ve got it plumbed off my return pump so I don’t think it’s getting quite enough flow. But it’s doing pretty good even with lower flow. It’d definitely help if I got a bigger return pump or put it on its own pump.

Here’s the first batch right before I cleaned it last.
75805898-7B61-4DE6-8143-021ED66159AC.jpeg

And here’s about 2wks later
6FAA0E8E-885E-40C5-A76C-3D912943EA26.png

damaneice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pipe holding the algae ever come out? How it secured to the box? It looks like it is sitting in hole slots on sides on the box.

damaneice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I made it with a light on both sides would that be overkill?

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pipe holding the algae ever come out? How it secured to the box? It looks like it is sitting in hole slots on sides on the box.
Normally the pipe slots in from above and is kept in its place by weigh only - there are no clamps needed to keep it there.

Also standard setup has lights on both sides. People don't always have that due to space constraints..

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its never come out. It’s pretty secure, it’s just sitting there in the slots. The weight is more than enough to hold it down. The one I made has lights on both sides.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it does pretty good. I’ve got it plumbed off my return pump so I don’t think it’s getting quite enough flow. But it’s doing pretty good even with lower flow. It’d definitely help if I got a bigger return pump or put it on its own pump.

Here’s the first batch right before I cleaned it last.
75805898-7B61-4DE6-8143-021ED66159AC.jpeg

And here’s about 2wks later
6FAA0E8E-885E-40C5-A76C-3D912943EA26.png
Doesn’t look like the screen is roughed up.

Here’s mine from donkeys years ago;

Turbo has a vid, on screen roughing, but we used to use a hole saw way back;

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like the screen is roughed up.

Here’s mine from donkeys years ago;

Turbo has a vid, on screen roughing, but we used to use a hole saw way back;

It’s roughed up. I just used some heavy grit sand paper. Do you think roughing it up more aggressively would help? Seems to be growing in the screen okay…? Thanks for looking out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer5640 Do you have any tips to drilling the holes without cracking the box?
You shouldn’t have to drill any holes in the box. The only holes I drilled were in the piece of acrylic I used as a base that I glued the box to. I used a Dremel to cut the slots in the box where the pipe rests. As far as drilling acrylic goes though; I like to leave the protective film on it and start with a small drill bit to give a pilot hole. Step up gradually while maintaining downward control (don’t push down, if anything take some of the weight of the drill off the piece) trying to prevent the bit from grabbing and taking off. Really you just get a feel for it after doing it so much. Definitely practice on some scrap first. Holes near the edges will crack a lot more likely than than a hole with some meat surrounding it. If it’s thin enough I drill in reverse after I drill a pilot hole and push down on the drill (makes an ugly hole for sure but gets it done). If you pull the film off apply some painters tape. If you don’t have a Dremel and are going to use a hole saw, spade bit, or Forstener bit to cut the slots for the pipe to rest on the box I’d steer clear of all that. The box is too thin and will crack or look like s***. Instead I’d heat it up very slowly with low to moderate heat and cut it with a carpenters blade or exzacto knife. Honestly a Dremel would be the best tool for the job with a router bit or roto zip bit. But if you don’t have a Dremel (perfect time to buy one ;)) then I’d suggest heating and cutting but be careful not to warp the box. After I cut the slots with the Dremel I used an exacto knife to clean it up and cut pretty easy, almost too easy. Here’s another angle so you can see the slots better. Hope that helps.
C323BDFF-C643-452E-B141-14D36DAB8831.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purely out of curiosity, why 2 drains on the side?

When I DIYed mine, I did just a single drain on the bottom controlled with a gate valve.
The upper drain is just a back up incase the primary gets plugged. I just like to have a fail safe/back up plan where I can

damaneice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“You shouldn’t have to drill any holes in the box. The only holes I drilled were in the piece of acrylic I used as a base that I glued the box to”

Did you use a Dremmel for the two drain holes as well?

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“You shouldn’t have to drill any holes in the box. The only holes I drilled were in the piece of acrylic I used as a base that I glued the box to”

Did you use a Dremmel for the two drain holes as well?
My bad man I didn’t even think about that. Yes I did use my Dremel with a roto zip bit for both those as well.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.8%
Back