DIY Algae Scrubber

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that are considering a DIY algae scrubber. Here’s my latest attempt. This ended up costing just under $100. If I had used sch40 fittings rather than sch80 I could have saved at least $20 if not more. For the base I just cut a piece of acrylic and adhered it to the bottom with Weldon 16. I drilled and tapped the holes for the lights and mounted them with nylon thumb screws. I didn’t add a valve because I’ve got a manifold off my return pump with a designated valve for the scrubber so consider that if anyone uses this part list. I can give more detail if anyone is interested in using this list of how I did certain parts. But for the most part I used a dremel to cut the container. And a tap to mount the lights with thumb screws. Those two parts were probably the only part of this project that required a little attention to detail. Aside from that, this was a super simple project that anyone could do.

Here’s the list of parts with links;

-Acrylic Container- $13

-Lights -$25 (x2)

-1/2” FNPT Lock Nut- $0.40 (x2) *The link is for a pack of 50 which is $19 for the pack. You can make these by cutting a ring off a threaded fitting if you don’t want to buy them.

-O-rings- $0.32 (x2) *Could cost more or less depending what size of pack you get or if you can find a couple o-rings laying around that work.

-1/2” FNPT x 1/2” FNPT schedule 80 union- $7.50 *I prefer the threaded but this is obviously preference of how it’s plumbed.

-1/2” Male Adapters- $6.35 (x3) *Way cheaper if you use schedule 40. I just prefer grey over white and didn’t want to paint the plumbing.

-1/2” slip 90- $5.05 *Again, cheaper with sch40

-1/2” Barbed x 1/2” MNPT Adapter- $0.70

-Mesh sheets- ~$2.00 (a couple medium sheets cost about $5.00)

713D09DC-CBDD-49BA-B5CB-5466D37B93E3.jpeg
4C8B7C30-DFC4-486D-B1B9-218F0FFFCDFF.jpeg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that looks good! I love fabricating with acrylic. I was short on time with this one and just wanted something quick.
thanks!

yes I found it wasn't too bad when I started using my table saw with an acrylic blade instead of the "scratch and snap" method that i always read about.

I have built 3.. I always have had to build to "fit" a specific spot. someday I may just build a huge / perfect one.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a really nice ats! I need a box thats longer but Maybe i can just make 3 ats in this size of box.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..check out Kazakh engineered DIY ATS thread!

Step-by-step build for about one hundred US&A dollers.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..check out Kazakh engineered DIY ATS thread!

Step-by-step build for about one hundred US&A dollers.

Can you transfer your build here? I dont really feel like making an account to view pics on ultimate reef.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also built a few different an always end up resorting back to the easiest and cheapest method. HO UAS. Yours looks nice though. I have the same lights (from the looks of it). Thanks for sharing.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you transfer your build here? I dont really feel like making an account to view pics on ultimate reef.
You are probably not interested enough.. should I maybe come to your house and present the build in person?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably not interested enough.. should I maybe come to your house and present the build in person?
Lol if you want to. Ill get you a beer to help you relax.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol if you want to. Ill get you a beer to help you relax.
Nah its not that - its like you came to a promotion offering free beers and you ask for a certificate proving that the beer you are offered is organic and has been blessed by president Trump..

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah its not that - its like you came to a promotion offering free beers and you ask for a certificate proving that the beer you are offered is organic and has been blessed by president Trump..
Im not American lol. Well anyways, im not forcing you to do it. Just a suggestion. I wanted to see the pics but they are so small on ultimate reef and without making an account I cannot see them clearly. No worries.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not American lol. Well anyways, im not forcing you to do it. Just a suggestion. I wanted to see the pics but they are so small on ultimate reef and without making an account I cannot see them clearly. No worries.
You must be Aussie - so chilled.. A lot of hours/days went into writing that article in UR, so I guess if someone is building ATS they will get an account and take a look..

Have a nice day, cheers...

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also built a few different an always end up resorting back to the easiest and cheapest method. HO UAS. Yours looks nice though. I have the same lights (from the looks of it). Thanks for sharing.
I’ve seen these but never gave them much consideration. Do they work better than the typical down flow style? Does the glass ever get covered in algae before the screen? I like the smaller footprint, that’s a big plus. As long as you have the available surface area on the glass that is.

OP
OP
Reefer5640

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be Aussie - so chilled.. A lot of hours/days went into writing that article in UR, so I guess if someone is building ATS they will get an account and take a look..

Have a nice day, cheers...
Or they could just look at this one haha! No JK. I read your post on UR. That was a really good write up man. Gives a lot of info.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back