DIY Alkatronic reagent

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello have you been using this ? and have you been returning the waste back to you tank? If so do you have a link for that product? Thank You forget it i found out my answer. lol

Just to verify:

I'm using it and can't tell any difference between the original to this reagent while returning the waste back into my sump.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I just got my sulfuric acid. This is the right one correct ? If so then I dilute 100ml of 1N to 900ml of rodi ? Then after that I do 1000ml of diluted N1 to 4000ml of rodi ? Thx all..

Attachments

• BF42BC93-B0CC-459F-88C7-EA1144AE6E3B.jpeg
    BF42BC93-B0CC-459F-88C7-EA1144AE6E3B.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 200

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I just got my sulfuric acid. This is the right one correct ? If so then I dilute 100ml of 1N to 900ml of rodi ? Then after that I do 1000ml of diluted N1 to 4000ml of rodi ? Thx all..
Yes, that is the correct acid but is not the correct dilution proportion

the correct proportion is 1:4 of acid/RODI

you need to dilute 100ml of acid in 400 ml of RODI, for a total solution volume of 500ml (or any volume you want following that proportion)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you need to dilute 100ml of acid in 400 ml of RODI, for a total solution volume of 500ml (or any volume you want following that proportion)
I agree with this because the acid is 0.1 N not 1 N concentration.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! This is a considerable way to lower the ongoing Alkatronic operation costs. Now if I could find replacement tubing...
Lol I’ve been telling Eric and jones to have more distributors in the US b/c it’s terrible here . Coralvue had some but they are always sold out for the most part .

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! This is a considerable way to lower the ongoing Alkatronic operation costs. Now if I could find replacement tubing...
I did crate a direct kamoer contact for stepper pumps b/c one head stripped and it was impossible to find here

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank you I meant 400 big thumbs lol thx for that catch .

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting an update on this. Actually more of an update on mixing the reagent. As I mentioned in a previous post, I ordered some 1L and 250ML volumetric flasks from Amazon. Wow, what a difference for ease of measuring compared to weighing. Other than a funnel, the only equipment I needed was a 10ML syringe to add the final drops to the flasks to hit the meniscus line dead on.

I am going to be away for close to a month, so I mixed up a double batch (2.5L) and it was so fast compared to the old method. The 0.1N sulfuric acid standard was used again and it hit the last reading (from 1 hour before) with a 100% match when using the newly mixed reagent.

So if you are ordering the 0.1N sulfuric acid from Amazon, throw a 1L and 250ML volumetric flask into your cart as well! ;)
Older post I know but I'm just getting to this stage of the game myself. @Dennis Cartier Two quick questions. Is a normal 10ml syringe, like the typical 5ml ones you get with test kits ok to use with the .1N solution? Then, what type of material is safe to store the regent in? Did you source anything specific to hold it in? Thanks so much.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older post I know but I'm just getting to this stage of the game myself. @Dennis Cartier Two quick questions. Is a normal 10ml syringe, like the typical 5ml ones you get with test kits ok to use with the .1N solution? Then, what type of material is safe to store the regent in? Did you source anything specific to hold it in? Thanks so much.
Yes, the typical syringes we use work fine with the 0.1N solution. I had concerns at first as well, but they seem to be pretty inert with an acid this diluted. For storage I use a 'Tupperware' style tall canister. Mine is totally made of the translucent, milky plastic that Tupperware uses, though it is a local brand. I think it is polyethylene or polypropylene. My container holds 2.9L or so, so I can mix up 2 batches of 1.25L each if I have the container empty enough when mixing.

Dennis

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the typical syringes we use work fine with the 0.1N solution. I had concerns at first as well, but they seem to be pretty inert with an acid this diluted. For storage I use a 'Tupperware' style tall canister. Mine is totally made of the translucent, milky plastic that Tupperware uses, though it is a local brand. I think it is polyethylene or polypropylene. My container holds 2.9L or so, so I can mix up 2 batches of 1.25L each if I have the container empty enough when mixing.

Dennis
Similar experiences here. I use a 10L container for reagent storage. I mix up 5L at a time.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar experiences here. I use a 10L container for reagent storage. I mix up 5L at a time.

ditto, D

Went overboard and bought GEO's 5 gallon ATO container, so mix just over 2.5 gallons at a time. That box is pretty much airtight and the regent stays stable until it's time to mix a new batch. Get like 10 months from one mixed batch... :)

Jacko2412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im just wondering if this is safe to use as well and if the mix will be the same 4:1 im believe that the same as the 0.1n/0.1m ? Or im wrong? Thank u

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210321-225514_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321-225514_Chrome.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 116

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased this container today.

hdpe should be pretty safe since that’s what the sulfuric acid I buy comes in. I’m going to mix 5 liters at a time, which should last me a while.

Hudson Exchange - 1001382 5 Liter Hedpak Container with Cap, HDPE, Natural

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi im just wondering if this is safe to use as well and if the mix will be the same 4:1 im believe that the same as the 0.1n/0.1m ? Or im wrong? Thank u

I can't make out the normality reading on the attached photo. I am not even sure if it has one as this looks more like an industrial version rather than a Standardized acid reagent. I would look for a standardized solution like we discuss in the thread here, rather than attempt to use an industrial acid mixture. The purpose of the standardized solution is for them to be an exact normality, which is crucial to the task at hand (mixing Alkatronic reagent).

I also looked into using (industrial) Muratic acid, but after realizing that the cost savings would be minimal over the standardized solutions, which are already the correct strength, I decided not to pursue that route. It is just one more area for errors to creep in to, and I have no trouble making those myself. ;)

For anyone looking to use hydrochloric acid instead of sulfuric, you need to only concern yourself with the normality value (N). Ignore the molarity value (M), as it will differ between these two types as sulfuric has 2 hydrogen ions and hydrochloric has 1.

Dennis

P.S. Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back