DIY Aquarium Stand, good? (pictures)

dym

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 19, 2026
Messages
107
Reaction score
38
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this might be a bit silly but I made a model of an aquarium stand in a game that I will build. It will be supporting a 125 gallon tank, so roughly 1,300 to 1,400 pounds when full, I don't mind overbuilding for safety since I've never done woodwork. I’m scared about that much water. I would appreciate any feedback, especially if you see any flaws or things I should change before I start building, thank you!
TankStand1.png
tankStand2.png TankStand3.png
 
Unless I'm just not seeing it, it doesn't look like the horizontal rails are supported from underneath. I'd suggest not reinventing the wheel and instead build Rocket Engineer's stand instead. Probably 100's of people have used this plan, so with a little searching you can find A LOT of examples as to what people have done. You can leave it with just the 2x4 material, or you can "skin" it with some thin plywood or pre-finished panel boards, add some trim, and it can be a very, very nice looking stand, and very strong.

If you have access to a miter saw, that's ideal for this kind of project, but you can build the whole thing with a circular saw (or hand saw!) and a drill gun. If you have questions about woodworking, let us know, lots of members here like woodworking and have built our own stands.

Good luck!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/basic-diy-stand-calculator.1138386/
 
Last edited:
I am a retired carpenter. The weight will be taken by the 6 legs. However, I would put a length or 2 of timber between the 2 middle legs mainly to give extra support to the tank base. You could even lift the bottom horizontal pieces an inch or 2 off the floor in case of an ineven floor as you want all the weight on the legs. Other than that it looks just fine to me.
 
Last edited:
Unless I'm just not seeing it, it doesn't look like the horizontal rails are supported from underneath. I'd suggest not reinventing the wheel and instead build Rocket Engineer's stand instead. Probably 100's of people have used this plan, so with a little searching you can find A LOT of examples as to what people have done. You can leave it with just the 2x4 material, or you can "skin" it with some thin plywood or refinished panel boards, add some trim, and it can be a very, very nice looking stand, and very strong.

If you have access to a miter saw, that's ideal for this kind of project, but you can build the whole thing with a circular saw (or hand saw!) and a drill gun. If you have questions about woodworking, let us know, lots of members here like woodworking and have built our own stands.

Good luck!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/basic-diy-stand-calculator.1138386/
I really do wanna build that one and it makes the most sense because like you said hundreds of people have made it, it's just that I don't trust myself since I don't have all the tools you said. I don't trust myself to build it without flaws. It'll also keep my mind at ease if there's a middle post.
 
Hello everyone, this might be a bit silly but I made a model of an aquarium stand in a game that I will build. It will be supporting a 125 gallon tank, so roughly 1,300 to 1,400 pounds when full, I don't mind overbuilding for safety since I've never done woodwork. I’m scared about that much water. I would appreciate any feedback, especially if you see any flaws or things I should change before I start building, thank you!
TankStand1.png
tankStand2.png TankStand3.png
I did one on my own and there is one thing learned from it support support support I would put 2 more on sides n bottom in the middle of what you have and some 2 x 4s across the top to secure the top from giving outward Otherwise looks great
 
I am a retired carpenter. The weight will be taken by the 6 legs. However, I woukd put a length or 2 of timber between the 2 middle legs mainly to give extra support tonthe tank base. You could even lift the bottom horizontal pieces an inch or 2 off the floor in case of an ineven floor as you want all the weight on the legs. Other than that it looks just fine to me.
Thank you so much, if I may ask, would you add plywood on the bottom? I plan on putting plywood all over except the front to turn into a cabinet.
 
I really do wanna build that one and it makes the most sense because like you said hundreds of people have made it, it's just that I don't trust myself since I don't have all the tools you said. I don't trust myself to build it without flaws. It'll also keep my mind at ease if there's a middle post.
I don't understand, how are you going to build any stand if you don't have access to at least a hand saw and a drill gun? Is there anyone that could help you, or at least have some basic tools you could borrow? A decent square comes to mind 🙂

Some stores like some big box stores will cut lumber to length for you, but then you're relying on the skills of the kid that's doing the cutting. Sometimes they are very good, and sometimes not so much 🙃 Smaller wood shops will often offer "milling services", and a shop like that will cut your wood perfectly, but you'd have to pay for their time and skill.

Center braces are a pain, almost everyone hates having them, they tend to get in the way during maintenance. In the link I provided above, the author is an engineer, and he did all the calculating, and he tells you exactly what length, width, and thickness of wood to use to avoid having a center brace, even for your 125. If you really want to go with a center brace, consider making it removable in case you need to remove your sump in the future.

Last, if you're that unsure about your woodworking skills, maybe consider purchasing a stand? You may even find one used? Other ideas include using cinderblock and 2x4's, but personally I've never trusted that the cinderblocks won't simply topple over 🤪
 
I don't understand, how are you going to build any stand if you don't have access to at least a hand saw and a drill gun? Is there anyone that could help you, or at least have some basic tools you could borrow? A decent square comes to mind 🙂

Some stores like some big box stores will cut lumber to length for you, but then you're relying on the skills of the kid that's doing the cutting. Sometimes they are very good, and sometimes not so much 🙃 Smaller wood shops will often offer "milling services", and a shop like that will cut your wood perfectly, but you'd have to pay for their time and skill.

Center braces are a pain, almost everyone hates having them, they tend to get in the way during maintenance. In the link I provided above, the author is an engineer, and he did all the calculating, and he tells you exactly what length, width, and thickness of wood to use to avoid having a center brace, even for your 125. If you really want to go with a center brace, consider making it removable in case you need to remove your sump in the future.

Last, if you're that unsure about your woodworking skills, maybe consider purchasing a stand? You may even find one used? Other ideas include using cinderblock and 2x4's, but personally I've never trusted that the cinderblocks won't simply topple over 🤪
I'll get the wood cut at the place I'm getting the wood from, also I do have a drill gun. Also about the center braces, how do they get in the way of maintenance? I'm assuming due to canister filters, but like I said I'd rather have peace of mind rather than convinience, my room n fish are destroyed if I mess up.
I'd purchase a stand but I've never done anything like this and I think it'll feel more rewarding this way and give me experience for future stuff. Though it's a horrible idea to start with a aquarium stand. Also tysm for all the replies, they've been really constructive and helpful
 
I'll get the wood cut at the place I'm getting the wood from, also I do have a drill gun. Also about the center braces, how do they get in the way of maintenance? I'm assuming due to canister filters, but like I said I'd rather have peace of mind rather than convinience, my room n fish are destroyed if I mess up.
I'd purchase a stand but I've never done anything like this and I think it'll feel more rewarding this way and give me experience for future stuff. Though it's a horrible idea to start with a aquarium stand. Also tysm for all the replies, they've been really constructive and helpful

Does the place you're buying the wood from offer milling services? Something like this?

Many lumber suppliers don't, in fact, offer those kinds of services. The big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) generally won't. They'll cut your lumber down small enough to fit it into your vehicle, but nothing beyond that.

There are places that will, but you'll need to verify what services they actually offer before you make the commitment. There's also the danger that if you don't have a way to cut the wood yourself, you can make a mistake in assembly and have no way to fix it.

Regarding center braces: They often interfere with your ability to actually fit a sump into the stand, and even if you can get the sump in, they'll often be right in the way of work you need to do.

If you really want to have some kind of a brace in the middle-ish portion of the stand, start by figuring out what sump you'll use, and place the brace so that it's at the end of the sump. That way, you have some middle support for your top box, but it doesn't get in the way of fitting the sump or working in it.

We generally don't use canister filters in reef keeping. Not that you can't use one - there are people who do - but a sump will almost always be better if your circumstances allow it.
 
Hello everyone, this might be a bit silly but I made a model of an aquarium stand in a game that I will build. It will be supporting a 125 gallon tank, so roughly 1,300 to 1,400 pounds when full, I don't mind overbuilding for safety since I've never done woodwork. I’m scared about that much water. I would appreciate any feedback, especially if you see any flaws or things I should change before I start building, thank you!
TankStand1.png
tankStand2.png TankStand3.png
Looks good. Are your skinning the front and sides or making doors? For skinning, I would use magnets to hold it if you are....
 
I've made a few stands before and that plan looks great.
just make sure all the parts are even across the top or you can put a piece of plywood on top.
 
Here is my 125G build:
1769123659158.png
Wow the result looks real nice, well done. Also I think I'll surround it with wood panels, the magnets are such a good idea tysm.
 
Does the place you're buying the wood from offer milling services? Something like this?

Many lumber suppliers don't, in fact, offer those kinds of services. The big box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) generally won't. They'll cut your lumber down small enough to fit it into your vehicle, but nothing beyond that.

There are places that will, but you'll need to verify what services they actually offer before you make the commitment. There's also the danger that if you don't have a way to cut the wood yourself, you can make a mistake in assembly and have no way to fix it.

Regarding center braces: They often interfere with your ability to actually fit a sump into the stand, and even if you can get the sump in, they'll often be right in the way of work you need to do.

If you really want to have some kind of a brace in the middle-ish portion of the stand, start by figuring out what sump you'll use, and place the brace so that it's at the end of the sump. That way, you have some middle support for your top box, but it doesn't get in the way of fitting the sump or working in it.

We generally don't use canister filters in reef keeping. Not that you can't use one - there are people who do - but a sump will almost always be better if your circumstances allow it.
Ohhh, okay. Tysm for letting me know, I didn't know what sumps were. This may be off topic from the original topic, but are those required or recommended for saltwater tanks? It'll be my first and I didn't really consider that.
 
Ohhh, okay. Tysm for letting me know, I didn't know what sumps were. This may be off topic from the original topic, but are those required or recommended for saltwater tanks? It'll be my first and I didn't really consider that.
ohh boy...a can of worms there my friend...LOL
 
Ohhh, okay. Tysm for letting me know, I didn't know what sumps were. This may be off topic from the original topic, but are those required or recommended for saltwater tanks? It'll be my first and I didn't really consider that.
A sump is basically another tank that sits (typically) under your display tank, and holds all your filtration gear. Water usually flows out of the aquarium through an overflow to the sump, then through the sump and whatever filtration you have in the sump, then the water is pumped back into the aquarium. This is done to hide equipment rather than having gear in the display tank, and to increase the total water volume of the system, which helps with system stability.

A sump is a popular and very flexible way to setup a reef tank, but it's not at all a requirement. You could look into canister filters like what Fungi uses, these are external power filters that sit under or next to your tank. You can also use all Hong-On-Back (HOB) gear that, like the name suggests, hangs on the rim of your aquarium. Many people think that's unsightly, but no reason you can't use all HOB filtration.

Sump Example:
basic.jpg


Canister Filter Example:
canister-filter-diagram.jpg


Hang On Back Filtration Example:
71uuzSUdWxL.jpg
 
Ohhh, okay. Tysm for letting me know, I didn't know what sumps were. This may be off topic from the original topic, but are those required or recommended for saltwater tanks? It'll be my first and I didn't really consider that.
It's fine to go off-topic sometimes. =)

Very few things are required. Most reefers would probably say that a sump is better for a reef tank, but you can certainly use a canister filter (or more than one) if that's the way you prefer to go. Generally, the reason sumps are preferred is that it's easier to fit in some of the bulkier equipment we use (protein skimmers, UV sterilizers, etc) rather than trying to find HOB or external solutions. They also give extra space for things like refugiums or cryptic chambers.

But, like @FUNGI right above me said, you can run a great tank off of canister filters if that's what you prefer or if that's what your circumstances allow. I can't really comment on the "how" there since that's not how I run my tank, but it's perfectly valid. I can think of a few active posters here who run their tanks off of canister filters, so if you want to go that route there are definitely people here who can give you some best practices to follow.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new