DIY CO2 Degassing Chamber for RO/DI

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by TheEngineer, Sep 3, 2015.

1. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

Best I can guess is that it has to do with the volume of water pulling down from the degasser. I’ve equated it to a larger siphon tube in my head.

2. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Well-Known Member

You could have your DI resin packed too tightly. I have a co2 degasser (although mine is taller and wider) and if I pack my resin too tightly I can see the water level in the outside part of the DI canister gradually rising, so I remove just a little and then it flows great. Here is mine for reference:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. ctyler85

ctyler85 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I'm starting to think that might be the issue. I've shortend the return side of the degasser and extended the gas side of it and even changed the hose size from 1/4 to 3/8 and it will flow great for about 5 gallons and then back up and blow out the top of the degasser. I ordered a diaphragm pump to move the water from the degasser to through the DI chamber /shrug

4. Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro Well-Known Member

Guys - you WANT the resin packed very tightly.

Russ

5. ctyler85

This is what I thought, I had always heard you want it as tight as possible so there is no flex in the canister

6. Buckeye Hydro

In an UPflow mixed bed DI cartridge, if the resin is not packed tightly, the bed will fluidize and the anion and cation beads will separate. Best treatment occurs when the beads are thoroughly mixed.

Russ

7. BigJohnny

There is a difference between packing tightly and overpacking DI resin. I can pack DI resin until its clogged (even without a degasser)

8. BigJohnny

I think i should have said "overfilled" instead of packed too tightly, although they are not mutually exclusive . You are correct in that you wanted it packed tightly, but not overfilled to the point the sponge compresses and obstructs flow.

9. Buckeye Hydro

you can remove the sponge - not needed

10. Buckeye Hydro

Hmm. We have been packing DI carts as tight as humanly possible , and compressing the sponge, for 20+ years, without ever limiting flow. The flow through a DI cart is only at the speed an RO can produce - very slow.

11. BigJohnny

Guess I'm super human strong then, I am "Big" after all ; ). All I know is that if I over pack my DI the flow is restricted too much for my degasser to work properly without overflowing. I will say that this has only happened once or twice. I still pack it very tight and compress the sponge, but I don't overfill it to the point that the 1/2" sponge is as thin as a paper clip. Maybe the sponge is the issue, OP could try removing that first.

My degasser works great, and I get at least 4x the efficiency now. Just trying to help the OP. Even if it does lose some efficiency (dont believe mine does because it's not fluidized and I believe packed very tight), as long as the OP is getting 0 tds water and his degasser is actually operational (not overflowing), he's reducing his resin consumption and is better off than he was before.

12. Buckeye Hydro

Ah-ha. Up-flow DI carts are packed assuming the flow is pressurized (think RO water coming from a membrane).

Russ

13. ctyler85

Where as now it's essentially gravity feed from the degasser. Hopefully this diaphragm pump does the trick and isn't Overkill

14. BigJohnny

Not sure what your saying here, just a tidbit of info?

15. Buckeye Hydro

So if you have some pressure feeding the DI, you won't ever have trouble with resin being "packed too tightly." But you're trying to feed it with gravity flow at almost 0 psi.

16. ctyler85

My fear was that maybe it would be too much pressure/flow for the resin or maybe I'd end up pumping air into it somehow

17. ctyler85

Didn't mean to hijack this thread at all. Well I can say the degasser has worked miracles at saving my DI resin, but on the other hand its just become a giant PITA and I can not get this thing to stop flooding the house. installed a diaphragm pump, smallest I could find, 1.1gpm and 35psi, its too much flow and too fast and drains the degasser, runs dry and just pumps air through the DI resin. the only option I have right now is I put the diaphragm pump on a wave maker to give it a break between running so its not pumping air. I cant seem to come up with a happy way to run this system without causing a flood.

18. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Formerly icecool2 R2R Supporter Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

To make my life a bit simpler, I've just been using a 5g bucket. I fill it with RO and let it aerate for 24 hours. There is a tap on the bottom that I open and it is gravity fed through the DI into a second bucket. Works fine, but isn't on demand like the original design here. You could use a float valve at the top of the tower to shut it off if it gets too high.

19. ctyler85

I'm running out of real estate in the closet, I thought about doing this because Ive seen a bunch of designs with people aerating in buckets and pumping from the bucket into the DI. Next option would be to move the entire set up into the garage which is on the other side of the house so getting water where I need it will be a PITA, plus I'm usually making 40 gallons at a time

Draft saved Draft deleted