DIY CO2 Degassing Chamber for RO/DI

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing this back to life...how are people doing these degassers with an auto shutoff. Since the degasser is not pressurized won’t the RO auto shutoff never kick in?
I was thinking about this also.. but I think you could use an RODI Flood Guardian!

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this also.. but I think you could use an RODI Flood Guardian!

I tried the flood guardian, but the problem with that is that every time it trips, it needs to be power cycled to open the solenoid. I went with the route of using the Apex water level sensor and a solenoid.

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the flood guardian, but the problem with that is that every time it trips, it needs to be power cycled to open the solenoid. I went with the route of using the Apex water level sensor and a solenoid.
What do you mean by power cycling? My apex is on the other side of the house... so i don't think I could use that.

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by power cycling? My apex is on the other side of the house... so i don't think I could use that.
So once the high level switch is triggered on it, it will close the solenoid, which is what causes the backpressure for the RODI to turn off. Let's say your degassing container is empty and you need the RODI to kick back in. The way to open the solenoid again is either to push the button on the device to open it or unplug and plug it back in. It doesn't automatically open up again when the level sensor is dry.

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once the high level switch is triggered on it, it will close the solenoid, which is what causes the backpressure for the RODI to turn off. Let's say your degassing container is empty and you need the RODI to kick back in. The way to open the solenoid again is either to push the button on the device to open it or unplug and plug it back in. It doesn't automatically open up again when the level sensor is dry.
AHHHH! dang. What a pain in the butt.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a simular unit dropped my CO2. I am having trouble with air in the di resin canisters then over flowing my chamber. Thinking about adding tees at the canisters and running that up to the top of the chamber to let air out. Has anybody else tried that?

Current Setup
IMG_2485.JPG

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone felt like they’ve fully resolved the risk of overflow from this backing up.

I think there will always be a risk. My next step is to add a float switch to my de-gassing tank that would shut off the RO system if that tank was over filled.

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used a booster pump to draw from the chamber instead of gravity feeding? That probably means the booster pump must be sized to pull more water than is entering the chamber and so it would run semi-dry. Perhaps that’s a big no-no?

edit: to be clear I know many use a full second reservoir to degas in and boost out of but I have limited room

Last edited:

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used a booster pump to draw from the chamber instead of gravity feeding? That probably means the booster pump must be sized to pull more water than is entering the chamber and so it would run semi-dry. Perhaps that’s a big no-no?

edit: to be clear I know many use a full second reservoir to degas in and boost out of but I have limited room

i use an aquatec delivery/demand pump and not gravity. Works great.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I gravity feed into a 5 gallon container then use a tunze ato pump to push thru the DI resin. I controll the pump with a high low tank controller from Amazon.

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research on Aquatec demand/delivery pumps and they appear to be able to handle running dry. They come in dozens of models with varying rates of flow but they’re made to pump from atmospheric levels to pressurized and are great for this purpose. I’ll just plan to measure my RO production rate by filling a bucket and stopwatching it and then match a model to that flow rate plus a slight bit of buffer towards drawing faster to prevent flooding. Thanks! Looks like a great solution.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back