DIY Dosing containers

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if anyone has mentioned it. I use the nutri-sea water containers you buy pre-mixed salt water in. See-thru, large lid to refill, and hold almost 5g. I use triton elementz so being able to fit 18 liters of element in the container is a big plus. The cover is actually large enough to fit a small powerhead into to mix up your dosing concentration. I actually took the time to pour liter by liter into the containers and mark with a sharpie each liter so now I can just pump in the exact liters I need when I fill them up.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of dosing lines does everyone use? Regular air line tubing? Silicone tubing? I ask because i know with the GHL doser i just picked up the tubing that is already on the pump heads is chemical resistant so should the rest of it be resistant as well?

Does anyone put a piece of ridid tubing at the end of the flexible tubing that goes into your sump? Just wondering what that diameter might be that would fit into the flex.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY Dosing containers
IMG_20160821_115728.jpg

With acrylic, you definitely do not need to clamp it down that hard. Just a heads up. :)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With acrylic, you definitely do not need to clamp it down that hard. Just a heads up. :)

Thank you:) @melev, I learned a few things since the last glue up and now weld with the surgrip 4 and tape instead of clamps:). The seams were so much better and no leaks with the leak test:cool: I am an older dog, but I learn a new trick.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
COOL!

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY Dosing containers

Custom DIY containers

Custom containers can be made to fit our needs and space that we have available

I went with 8-liter container for my needs and used acrylic which is very easy to work with. All you really need is a skill saw with a 40 tooth carbide blade, straight edge, black marker, and a plan.

I also want to note: for years I was using scigrip 16 but discovered that using the scigrip 4 with an applicator is much simpler with clear edges. This video glue acrylic is a great video on how to weld not glue acrylic. I still keep the sicgrip 16 on hand to fill holes.

My design for my needs

8L x 6w x 12 ½ h I wanted at least 6 liters and wound up with 8 liters.

5.5 liter dosing containers-Model.png

List of materials for one

2 x .223 thick acrylic 8 x 12 side

2 x .223 thick acrylic 6 x 12 side

2 x .223 thick acrylic 6 x 8 top and bottom

1 x .223 thick acrylic 5 x 5 for lid

1 acrylic hinge

Could you please tell me where you purchased your acrylic and what is a reasonable price for it. Lowes and Home Depot sell it but the prices seem excessively high to me....almost to the point that it is cost prohibitive to make something yourself....so I am open to suggestions.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a VOS container for my DIY nopox. I think this is a very good option for DIY.

What a great concept! How do you calculate the container volume and verify that it's correct?

volume = length x width x height
then convert cubic inches to liters or whatever volume unit you want

Could you please tell me where you purchased your acrylic and what is a reasonable price for it. Lowes and Home Depot sell it but the prices seem excessively high to me....almost to the point that it is cost prohibitive to make something yourself....so I am open to suggestions.

Last I checked, HD and Lowes don't really carry 1/4" acrylic. It's actually slightly smaller and in metric measurement, and yes, really expensive.
If you have a local Tap Plastics store in your area, you can get acrylic scraps from their scrap bin for usually $1 a piece.
That's what I did and this is what I made. I needed "custom" sized container to fit the small space between sump and stand wall.

8954a8bd648e01d031d7aff3fc912de9.jpg

when the two containers are pushed in all the way to the back wall, the front is flush with the sump. can't get that without custom building the dosing container.

af69162d6400f2f0b0c854d669ff9f9b.jpg

b5236e67aae8916c4314d61a0e16db0a.jpg

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is pretty price even whole sale. I use Farco plastics when I purchase acrylic

Ariton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the advice of @twilliard i purchased a medical infusion triple pump from ebay. I used regular Rubbermaid containers and voila! The most trustworthy dosing system you can ask for and it's also continuous!

IMG_20160830_202910.jpg

I wouldn't use it as an ATO though since the evaporation rate is not constant. But for dosing Alk/Ca/ trace elements i couldn't be happier!

Oh, forgot to mention this is much cheaper than the big name dousing pumps (and they're not even medical grade!) as cheap as a jebao! $110 which includes shipping. Again big props and thanks to @twilliard !
Can you post some link from those ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back