Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by 8pixel, Jun 4, 2014.

DIY Filter Socks

1. Skydvr

Skydvr Active Member CTARS Member

I don't know if anybody figured out what micron size this is comparable to, but I can definitely notice a difference in water clartity, even if the water initially looked crystal clear. I was quite surprised when I initially placed one in there. The waeve is pretty tight and if all of the filtration flow is going through a sock, it will clog up in a couple of weeks; I am sure it is on the finer mesh side of things, but not so tight that they need to be replaced on a daily basis.

I don't typically run mechanical filtration as I culture and dose a couple strains of phyto and prefer live foods over anyhing else so the corals and filter feeds can feed all day, but they are great when I am target feeding a lot of frozen food or doing some deep cleaning.

2. Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer Member

I started making my own socks last year and never looked back! I bought the .99 cent felt sheets in the craft section at Walmart and had my mother in law do the stiching. The sheets are the perfect size and just need to be folded in half and sowed! I don’t have a ring installed and just cut a notch out to hang on the pipe...it’s not pretty but it works and now I can throw away socks after a few washes 5139132F-1190-40CD-80CC-2CD6D768F9BD.jpeg FBDCC704-71B6-4E56-88D6-1E084885CDE5.jpeg ...

3. DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

This is all I could find at my Local JoAnn store as well. Can you confirm no issues with this type of felt?

4. Wayneb332

Wayneb332 Active Member

E1BD1CDB-509E-4C0E-9CD8-BEB0034407D0.png
    This is what I used

5. Skydvr

Skydvr Active Member CTARS Member

I wouldn't risk the stuff that doesn't explicitly state flamable or not for children's sleepwear (though with that I'd want to contact the manufacturer to verify). The non-flamable and stuff that is safe for children's sleepware has fire retardants in it.

6. ryeguyy84

ryeguyy84 Member

I found exactly that fabric at Joanns and spent my Sat making tons of socks. I wish I read the original post more carefully as I looked high and low for an acrylic rod to bend (thank you amazon) but the rigid tubing is much easier to find.

7. Zwogle

Zwogle Active Member

Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to take on this DIY, I was lucky and found a sewing machine for 15bucks today, and made 24 socks for .26 a piece in materials or .90 a piece, including cost of sewing machine ;)

Dominic Prezwanski and dbl like this.
  8. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Member

Rinse with hose or outside spigot and all the fish poop is gone. Then wash with a little bleach in washing machine and air dry for two days

9. DSmithZ28

I was just at JoAnn Fabrics and they were out of all the brands posted here so I got this one. I called the manufacturer and they said it is 100% polyester with no flame retardant additives and sent me a MSDS sheet on it.

9DA17784-0B61-4BA0-BACB-2299958B7058.jpeg

Attached Files:

Zwogle likes this.
  10. fetta

fetta Active Member 3RMAS Member

Anyone feel like makimg me some 4" socks....dont have a sewing machine

DSmithZ28 likes this.
  11. DSmithZ28

Buy the handheld sewing machine from Joann for 20 bucks

fetta likes this.
  12. ECR

ECR New Member

I guess I'll have to dust off the wife's sewing machine. I work in a tex tile factory and i have a 60 inch roll with like 500 yards of this fabric

Dominic Prezwanski likes this.
  13. SuperTangs

SuperTangs Member

awesome! will try this out!!

14. doughboy

doughboy Active Member

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-filter-socks.162584/page-6#post-2210596

see post #106. I got the handheld sewing machine back in feb 2015, three years later, I'm still making diy socks with it, and the sewing machine is still on its original batteries.

Dominic Prezwanski likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted