DIY Filter Socks

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at JoAnn Fabrics and they were out of all the brands posted here so I got this one. I called the manufacturer and they said it is 100% polyester with no flame retardant additives and sent me a MSDS sheet on it.

9DA17784-0B61-4BA0-BACB-2299958B7058.jpeg

Joann does not carry the $5.99/yd version anymore.
I recently bought the $6.99/yd version, and I think it is better than the $5.99/yd version.
The $8.99/yd version, I think is ok to buy a yard or two until they have the $6.99/yd version back in stock.

if you are not in a hurry, wait for the 70% off coupon and buy the whole bolt (10 yards). It will last you forever. :)

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought the $6.99/yd version, and I think it is better than the $5.99/yd version.
The $8.99/yd version, I think is ok to buy a yard or two until they have the $6.99/yd version back in stock.

if you are not in a hurry, wait for the 70% off coupon and buy the whole bolt (10 yards). It will last you forever. :)
May i ask how wide is the yard of fabric is? I have acsesse to very nice filter fabric.

Jerzyray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181004_165632.jpg

i have this filter fabric for sale 5 bucks a yard.

20180929_151541.jpg

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does it filter? does it have a micron number? My filter socks are 100 micron I believe.
Loving this idea and I think it's time to learn to use my sewing machine!

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at JoAnn Fabrics and they were out of all the brands posted here so I got this one. I called the manufacturer and they said it is 100% polyester with no flame retardant additives and sent me a MSDS sheet on it.

9DA17784-0B61-4BA0-BACB-2299958B7058.jpeg
I'm confused, the MSDS sheet attached is for a string art kit, not for the felt. ?

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone do this recently? This post is pretty old and it seems like the felt once available, isn't anymore. I found the brand but it was plush, reviewers say it's fluffy...I'm guessing that's not ideal for a tank! I also found this info; Sounds like it's treated with things that shouldn't be in an aquarium? Not sure what they mean by "natural silver and copper cleansing ions", to me that sounds like it's treated.
Eco-fi PLUS™ Premium Craft Felt
  • A premium quality polyester craft felt that is thicker and heavier than standard craft felt
  • 8 oz. per square yard, approximately 2mm thick
  • Made form 100% recycled polyester bottles (red is 85% eco-fi™/15% acrylic)
  • Uses natural silver and copper-cleansing ions to resist mold, mildew and odor
  • Cuts and sews easily
  • Available by the yard (72" wide), sheet (12" x 18"), or sheet pack of 12.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what the end of the bolt of fabric currently looks like. Purchased at JoAnn's.

Normally $6.99/yd. Price drops to $2.10/yd with a 70% off coupon. I made 51 socks from a 10 yd. bolt. Translate to about $.41/sock. I actually paid $.29/sock because of an extra discount the store gave me because of a mix-up on their part.

You have any issues with this? I've always used the ecofi, but they no longer have it. I got some of this one today

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have any issues with this? I've always used the ecofi, but they no longer have it. I got some of this one today

Is there a brand on the one you purchased today? I couldn't find anything that didn't sound as if it were treated with something. I'm surprised no one sells disposable filter socks after all these years, I guess there's not money in it :) I hate cleaning the filter socks, they are thick and need to be turned inside out and that's a pain..If I could use them and throw them out, I'd have the cleanest tank in town. lol

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One trick is to use cotton, and then just throw the whole thing in your garden to fertilize it :)
I've been using kind of the same thing except I get organic cotton balls, die free women's stockings and cut the legs into strips.
Stuff two strips tie both ends and pack them both in with a small rock on top. When the bottom one is done I put the top one on the bottom and a fresh one on top. Just have to be careful not to over stuff/over pack.
Been working for me pretty well.
I like the washable idea though. Think ill give it a try.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a link ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are joining his thread and we're trying to decide on making these or just using polyester batting in a basket in the sump, that we've used for years ?

We bought a nearly new, great sump for our new 125g in wall mixed reef tank.
We've only made our own sump for aquariums, but this sump has three ringed filter socks and came with three socks. We did not know these were a pain in the butt to clean so often, so making several of our own would with a laundry load. lol...

Last edited:

DarrenCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Joann's today looking for felt. Picked up 6 yards of this. It was on sale 50% off and had a 20% off coupon too. Paid $20 for 6 Yards. It doesn't say ecofi but has the same part number as the post on page one. Sock Felt.jpg

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the one I am currently using. It works just fine.
I bought a whole bolt. I specifically asked for a brand new whole bolt so it is packed nice and neat. But then the Joann employee started unraveling it and measured the fabric ;Woot. I think it ended up like 10.1 yds or something like that. They want to make sure I don't get the 0.1 yds for free, lol. Needless to say, the bolt was like more than twice the original size after it got rolled up again. I did not bother arguing with the employee, as she is just blindly following instructions and it was pointless. And it looked like joann needs every penny to stay in business.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back