Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by 8pixel, Jun 4, 2014.

DIY Filter Socks

1. 805reef

805reef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Where is that? Do they have 7"?

2. Kev311

Kev311 Well-Known Member

Not sure about that, I got them off of wish. You'll have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery though but it's worth it.

3. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Use toss rings for the top of the socks link
    IMG_4606.JPG

drawman likes this.
  4. s2nhle

s2nhle Well-Known Member

Good to know. thanks

5. Skydvr

Skydvr Well-Known Member CTARS Member

Those milk filter socks look like a really great option, but the 2.5" opening seems like they might not work for most people. Also not sure what the micron size is. Although, the bos does say satisfaction guaranteed so, what do you have to lose?

My folding the top edge over a few times and tacking it down has worked out really well for me. My picos use them free standing (when I use them). Having a boxy style that is free standing has come in handy to prefilter water when I had a precipitation issue and dealt with avfew other odd random issues.

A template or really simple design allows you to knock out a bunch in a hurry. Not typically a fan of disposable, especially with synthetic materials, but with the infrequency that I use these, this has been a great and cheap option. Glad I was able to knock out a bunch of them in short order (once I got a template made up) for very little cash.

6. jrswindler

jrswindler Active Member

What fabric can i use if u want to make mesh socks?

7. Skydvr

Skydvr Well-Known Member CTARS Member

Not to be pedantic, but a cotton or synthetic mesh fabric.

Much like with the material mentioned above, make sure it isn't something with fire retardants or dyes. Walk around a fabric store and see what you come up with, or search online for mesh fabric by the yard. You can always post what you find on here and see what people's opinions are on it.

8. George Lopez

George Lopez Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Too find the length of and dock you use pi x diameter (pi = 3.14) so for a7" you do 7" x 3.14 = 21.98" so 22.25" wide piece should work for you try it pin a small piece first just in case as adjust accordingly.

joshA781 likes this.
  9. vinny110

vinny110 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

would this work for a red sea reefer system?

10. s2nhle

s2nhle Well-Known Member

This should work for any type of system if you modified from its actual sock.

11. doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

use the plastic ring from the original red sea filter sock and attach your diy sock like I posted here

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-filter-socks.162584/page-7#post-2224363

this guarantees your sock won't fall or slip off. There is another post where they just zip tie the outside of the ring.
    The advantage of this method is, you don't have to sew the loop on the top, that is needed if you, say, use a ring or pull string.

12. budman

budman Lets go Fishing !!! R2R Supporter

Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
    Awesome DIY..

13. danmarisoldom

danmarisoldom New Member

I juts went and got the same stuff but it does not say flammable but is the same sque number and everything. The lady at joanns said it would say treated if it was fire treated do you think I'm good

14. |FATHOM|

|FATHOM| Active Member

Will try this. Thank you!

15. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I thought I'd give this thread a bump and encourage anyone considering trying to make your own socks to give it a go. I finally decided to make some and I can't believe how easy they are to make.

I used the material in the OP, used an old sock as a template, cut and sew. It literally takes less than two minutes of actual sewing time. About $9 worth of fabric made 16 socks, with a little fabric left over.

Now these first ones cost me a little more because I had to buy a sewing machine, but that's a different story.:cool:

20171029_203253.jpg

George Lopez likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted