DIY fish tank stand

Nathan_Ferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm getting back into the hobby after a year off due to work commitments. I really missed it.

So, I've gone with the Aqua Nano 40 Cube (40x40cm) for my tank. I thought of buying the stand for it but realized that I could DIY one for a fraction of the price, so I've given myself this challenge.

I've seen a bunch of videos regarding DIY tank stands and I've been wondering what your thoughts are on using 2x3 (70x45mm) pine timber framing rather than 2x4 (90x45mm) for a tank this small?

Using 90x45mm framing makes it quite bulky and takes up quite a bit of room in the cabinet compared to the 70x45mm framing. I'd rather use the 70mm one if I can. Attached are some pictures of the design I'm thinking of.

90 vs 70.png

Also, here is the timber and plywood I'm thinking of using:

Always open to suggestions.

Stand Angle.png Stand Front.png

OP
OP
Nathan_Ferguson

Nathan_Ferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone also give me suggestions on the framing below? I want to make it less bulky on the inside of the stand but don't want to compromise strength unless it can more than handle the weight of the tank.

Stand Construction.png Stand Construction 02.png

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be OK with stand idea 1. I bould a 2x4 stand for a 90 rimless and did not have room for the extra double support as the 40br sump would not fit. so I used some pretty heavy duty L brackets I ran it that way for 1.5 years before selling it.

have you seen the 100 plywood stands if your looking for minimalist bulk that is the way to go. I have seen them used on tanks 4X your size.

all that said I am not a builder or engineer.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand 1 is plenty strong for a tank that size. I have built two 2x4 stands in the last week for 180 and dual 30's One like #1, one like #2.

The only issue I see here is if you aren't planning on skinning at least two sides with plywood, the stand may be prone to racking which is obviously not desirable.

OP
OP
Nathan_Ferguson

Nathan_Ferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for your replies. Do you have any experience with 2x3 wood by any chance? I'm planning on skinning it with plywood on each side including the top. Will 12mm thickness be enough?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for your replies. Do you have any experience with 2x3 wood by any chance? I'm planning on skinning it with plywood on each side including the top. Will 12mm thickness be enough?
I had a 60g cube and the stand it came with was made of only 3/4 (inch) plywood. 2x3 will work

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinewood would work but I recommend you seal it with a paint or stain. I’ve read that pinewood doesn’t hold up well outdoors otherwise.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly very over kill for a tank that size. I used to hold a 40 breeder on a ikea computer desk for 4 years. I tried building my stand the same way for my 75g upgrade, and it is proven to be extra lol

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you building a stand to hold up your house? That is way overkill. With all that 2x4, you wont have any space for your equipment below.
Go take a look at some aquarium stands at your LFS for an idea. Most stands are made of cheap particle boards. My Oceanic 175g bowfront is made of all mdf with 3" mdf strips as framing. Construction is held together by 2" staples. Very cheaply done. I am still at shock how a few strips of mdf can hold up over a ton so easily.

If I was you, use 3/4" good quality plywood like baltic birch. You can joint it using pocket holes or 2" wood screws.
Msg me if you have any questions. I have built a few custom stands before.

OP
OP
Nathan_Ferguson

Nathan_Ferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've gone ahead and gotten the 70x45mm pine timber framing for the structure of the stand. Unfortunately, I didn't look carefully enough and mistakenly got the treated pine :(

I don't plan on putting another tank in the cabinet so do you think it's fine to use? Spent $70 on it. I can use it for another project if I can't use it for the tank stand though.

OP
OP
Nathan_Ferguson

Nathan_Ferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've gone ahead and gotten the 70x45mm pine timber framing for the structure of the stand. Unfortunately, I didn't look carefully enough and mistakenly got the treated pine :(

I don't plan on putting another tank in the cabinet so do you think it's fine to use? Spent $70 on it. I can use it for another project if I can't use it for the tank stand though.
Scratch that. I'm not even gonna risk it. I'll just head out to buy the untreated kind again.

Back