DIY Garbage Can Sump - input appreciated **

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FILTER DRUM.png

Hi all - above is my planned sump/filter .
I know that I have not included control valves or check valves because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING WHEN IT COMES TO PLUMBING.

I think i can glue PVC ledges to the inside of the drum on which i can rest diffuser screens which can hold the bioballs/pot scrubbies (i initially was thinking ceramic media or extra rock but dont know how to support the weight), a big mat of filter floss removes the needs for filter socks and the plan is to have 3-5 so i can just change them out and rinse.

i have an overflow box - not a drilled tank i am hoping this will add about 25 gallons of water volume to the system

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool concept. You're going for a DIY cannister filter?

I think you've identified the challenge of supporting a soggy wad of filter floss. I might consider some way of hanging it from the rim.. maybe a loose basket of fishing line bound to a frame that sits atop the can.

As you say, a check valve between the return pump and the return to the tank is a sensible precaution. Don't rely on it though. Make sure your design can hold the extra water when the pump is off and some water drains out of the DT.

Food for thought.. maybe put your bio-balls in some sort of a removable tray or basket so they're easily removed when you need to siphon gunk out of the very bottom. OR, use a uniseal or bulkhead to install a drain in the bottom (with a ball valve ofc). Then, on water change day, you can open that valve, flush all the crud, refill, and reconnect!

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. the nly thing that woulod suck it when you need to clean the bottom form all the gunk. but toher thatn that its a really neat idea and saves room since most sumps are long.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool concept. You're going for a DIY cannister filter?

I think you've identified the challenge of supporting a soggy wad of filter floss. I might consider some way of hanging it from the rim.. maybe a loose basket of fishing line bound to a frame that sits atop the can.

As you say, a check valve between the return pump and the return to the tank is a sensible precaution. Don't rely on it though. Make sure your design can hold the extra water when the pump is off and some water drains out of the DT.

Food for thought.. maybe put your bio-balls in some sort of a removable tray or basket so they're easily removed when you need to siphon gunk out of the very bottom. OR, use a uniseal to install a drain in the bottom (with a ball valve ofc). Then, on water change day, you can open that valve, flush all the crud, refill, and reconnect!
It’s a 55g garbage can or drum (not sure which I’m going with yet) and the tank is 60 gallons I’m only planning on having the overflow box about 4 inches down with some sort of siphon break - so I think I have the water volume under control. I guess it is a canister filter , with a tiny sump area on the bottom for the media blocks and extra heater. Thanks this is definitely a work in progress and I am very new to the idea of sumps and how you set one up so going off of freshwater methodologies

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. the nly thing that woulod suck it when you need to clean the bottom form all the gunk. but toher thatn that its a really neat idea and saves room since most sumps are long.
I’m hoping that the thick layer of filter floss would prevent a sizeable amount from reaching the bottom - but you are right definitely something to keep in mind

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have built similar filters before and solved the platform issue by using egg crate light diffusers and 4 vertical PVC pipes to support each level. The bioballs/pot scrubbies could be a viable biological filtration in the short run but will likely create problems in the medium term. What height do you plan to keep the water level?

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built similar filters before and solved the platform issue by using egg crate light diffusers and 4 vertical PVC pipes to support each level. The bioballs/pot scrubbies could be a viable biological filtration in the short run but will likely create problems in the medium term. What height do you plan to keep the water level?

I am thinking about 25gallons of water in the drum which I think is at the 15” mark, I was hoping to do ceramic media or actual bio balls but they are quite heavy so that’s why I had pot scrubbies(cheap and light) but I definitely want long term success

any suggestions on valve placement?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thinking about 25gallons of water in the drum which I think is at the 15” mark, I was hoping to do ceramic media or actual bio balls but they are quite heavy so that’s why I had pot scrubbies(cheap and light) but I definitely want long term success

any suggestions on valve placement?

It sounds like you are putting together a DIY trickle filter. You can research that to see if what you have in mind is a match. If so, then you can also take a look at the pros and cons for use in a SW system to decide if that is the direction that you want to go. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this will be worth it in the long run, maybe if you did like a media tower, otherwise, I think you may run into the same challenges a regular canister filter does. I would search the marketplace here, or your local craigslist and look for a used sump. If you want to get your hands dirty, get a used aquarium or wait for Petco dollar a gallon tank sale, and make a sump. I have used floor tile to make baffles in the past with an old acrylic tank. worked great for years.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are putting together a DIY trickle filter. You can research that to see if what you have in mind is a match. If so, then you can also take a look at the pros and cons for use in a SW system to decide if that is the direction that you want to go. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

dang that wont work - okay so my original idea of just filter floss on top , and then in the middle extra live rock - any tips on suspending the live rock off the bottom so i can suction out the gunk on the bottom ?

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this will be worth it in the long run, maybe if you did like a media tower, otherwise, I think you may run into the same challenges a regular canister filter does. I would search the marketplace here, or your local craigslist and look for a used sump. If you want to get your hands dirty, get a used aquarium or wait for Petco dollar a gallon tank sale, and make a sump. I have used floor tile to make baffles in the past with an old acrylic tank. worked great for years.
my unfortunate predicament is i dont have space under the tank for a sump (its a decent plywood stand but no space underneath)
I have a 55g acrylic tank that i got for free as its scratched up and i thought of using that however i cant find a sump kit that would fit - really im just worried about keeping the tank stable for anemones

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my unfortunate predicament is i dont have space under the tank for a sump (its a decent plywood stand but no space underneath)
I have a 55g acrylic tank that i got for free as its scratched up and i thought of using that however i cant find a sump kit that would fit - really im just worried about keeping the tank stable for anemones
I assume this filter will not be underneath the tank and in a remote location, you can do the same with the sump. Cut floor tiles to size and glue them in yourself. cheap and easy. Sump will give you the stability you want, as well the theoretically the large canister you want to make. I just imagine the canister will give you more issues in the long run, and be more costly initially. So in my mind a lose lose.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this filter will not be underneath the tank and in a remote location, you can do the same with the sump. Cut floor tiles to size and glue them in yourself. cheap and easy. Sump will give you the stability you want, as well the theoretically the large canister you want to make. I just imagine the canister will give you more issues in the long run, and be more costly initially. So in my mind a lose lose.
i have vertical space next to the tank , also can hide some heaters etc in there .

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this done with these plastic file cabinets and from what i heard it worked well for the most part.

Plastic.jpeg

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this done with these plastic file cabinets and from what i heard it worked well for the most part.

ive seen those too ! very cool . However my main goal was to add more water volume to my system and as people have pointed out - trickle filter is not the way to go - but thats why im here - to learn from others

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I also am seeing a canister filter setup happening. Seems it would be much cheaper to buy a used one and call it a day. They go for pennies on the dollar.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back