OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I also am seeing a canister filter setup happening. Seems it would be much cheaper to buy a used one and call it a day. They go for pennies on the dollar.

yes it does look that way - however even the biggest canisters (like the fx6) only add about 5-10 gallons water volume to the system . I am looking for 25gallons + as well as added filtration

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it does look that way - however even the biggest canisters (like the fx6) only add about 5-10 gallons water volume to the system . I am looking for 25gallons + as well as added filtration

The thing is how the water is forced to flow through the canister is critical for proper effectiveness. You could build a shelf and use two of them. Easier to clean one totally or rotate use over time. I just thought, based on your description, that it is the end goal on a budget of using different media to filter water... and canisters do work. Just not a jack of all trades like a sump. Many have nifty features to so cleaning and media replacement is a snap.

They also make online heaters as well which would give a clean look. Harder to find used tho.

Momof3boys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could she use a big clear plastic tote as a sump. Buy a small one, cut it up for baffles. That wouldn't be considered canister then.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could she use a big clear plastic tote as a sump. Buy a small one, cut it up for baffles. That wouldn't be considered canister then.

From what I understand she has vertical space but very little horizontal. That means a can shape by definition. A cheap shelf with two spots could hold two used canisters and with inline heaters get some stuff out of the tank.

Since canisters have the ability to shut off water at the lid area... removing them for cleaning is soooo much easier. Using two allows rotation and two heaters inline for redundancy.

It might end up looking very clean install wise as well if you can hide the input/outputs in the tank.

I see these canisters people buy pretty darn cheap used from time to time. Not here but the usual places like craigslist, lfs, etc...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FILTER DRUM.png

Hi all - above is my planned sump/filter .
I know that I have not included control valves or check valves because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING WHEN IT COMES TO PLUMBING.

I think i can glue PVC ledges to the inside of the drum on which i can rest diffuser screens which can hold the bioballs/pot scrubbies (i initially was thinking ceramic media or extra rock but dont know how to support the weight), a big mat of filter floss removes the needs for filter socks and the plan is to have 3-5 so i can just change them out and rinse.

i have an overflow box - not a drilled tank i am hoping this will add about 25 gallons of water volume to the system
Here's what I've done under the sun mine was a large canister filter 16 gallon barrel.
I filled mine up about 80% of the container with activated carbon. If I had to do it all over again I would put the pump where I can get access to it . a good pre filter before going into the canister filters so I wouldn't have to change it every 6 months.

20181126_130128.jpg

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FILTER DRUM.png

i think im just going to go ahead with this design - filter flosswith a shelf to support it, some liverock with a pvc shelf to keep it above the bottom, some biomedia plates for extra filtration and the return pump back to the tank - with the drum 3/4 full shuld give me an extra 25-30gallons of water and roughly 50lbs more liverock

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s a 55g garbage can or drum (not sure which I’m going with yet) and the tank is 60 gallons I’m only planning on having the overflow box about 4 inches down with some sort of siphon break - so I think I have the water volume under control. I guess it is a canister filter , with a tiny sump area on the bottom for the media blocks and extra heater. Thanks this is definitely a work in progress and I am very new to the idea of sumps and how you set one up so going off of freshwater methodologies
Just food for thought.... I cant run a sump due to other critters in the house so I'm running a 75g with Fx6 and a skimmer and it's got 5 nems and a bunch of coral in it that couldn't be happier and a 32 cube on a 307 that is a mixed reef with some sps, Husbandry is key to any reef but especially canisters or any diy filter.

I understand each tank is different but you might not need as much extra water for filtration as you think to keep the tank clean and stable enough for nems ;)

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just food for thought.... I cant run a sump due to other critters in the house so I'm running a 75g with Fx6 and a skimmer and it's got 5 nems and a bunch of coral in it that couldn't be happier and a 32 cube on a 307 that is a mixed reef with some sps, Husbandry is key to any reef but especially canisters or any diy filter.

I understand each tank is different but you might not need as much extra water for filtration as you think to keep the tank clean and stable enough for nems ;)

thank you !
i have to ask did you change anything filter media wise on the fx6 ? whats your maintenance look like - i just hear so many people complain about canister filters im hesitant

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you !
I have to ask did you change anything filter media wise on the fx6 ? whats your maintenance look like - i just hear so many people complain about canister filters im hesitant
Honestly I'd have a sump and I'm envious of those who do!!

But heres what I do and I have learned a lot with my 32 cube over the last 3 years and the canister in that one.....I go with the natural approach with a canister filter and only use chemipures or any carbon or purigen when needed for toxins. Like if a nem dies and it released a lot of toxins I would put a pack of carbon in and remove it after it clears. I found trying to keep purigen and carbon in my canister led to an unstable tank and me trying to chase numbers. Rather than just filling the canister with all biological and getting a good natural system, Which is hard in a canister filter.

So in the FX6 to get as close as possible to a large biological colony, I took out all the insides and replaced every level with bio rings of any choice. I eventually went with a quartz version as ceramic breaks down over time and quartz is supposed to last.

I leave filter floss on the very top and very bottom only. Allowing total flow over the bio media in the canister. I also left the side larger foam filters around the outside of the inner chamber. This is unique with the FX6 as it has a different internal flow than a standard canister filter. I left this incase any larger particles from my cheato, sand or food get into the pump.

I have a HOB skimmer for both tanks. This is optional but I really noticed a difference when I added one to my cube so I started with one on my 75g and have 5 in there. On the opposite side of the skimmer I have a HOB refuge with cheato. This supports my pods which some say is feeding my skimmer but I say it helps naturally keep the tank stable lol this is a personal choice of course when using both. I believe I get good use out of both give my situation, and I see pods all over my tank haha

I clean both canisters every weekend. I will say that I do see a lot of nasties but I could let it go 2 weeks and be good. I just want the cleanest water for my nems so I am on it.

Cleaning wise all i do is unplug and pop off the connecting tubes. Take out the media and rinse in fresh rodi saltwater and dump the water that's in the canister. Then in the FX6 you replace the 5 gallons and plug back in.

It really is pretty simple to add or remove anything to the canister filter.

The only thing I had to work with was the return on the FX6 is a beast and puts out about 500-900gph depending on how much media is in it. So it can really push some water. I actually dont need a power head in the area I have it returning into my tank because it has such a great flow as is.

Sorry this was WAY longer than expected, but I hope it helps a little.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'd have a sump and I'm envious of those who do!!

But heres what I do and I have learned a lot with my 32 cube over the last 3 years and the canister in that one.....I go with the natural approach with a canister filter and only use chemipures or any carbon or purigen when needed for toxins. Like if a nem dies and it released a lot of toxins I would put a pack of carbon in and remove it after it clears. I found trying to keep purigen and carbon in my canister led to an unstable tank and me trying to chase numbers. Rather than just filling the canister with all biological and getting a good natural system, Which is hard in a canister filter...
No thank you for being so thorough i really appreciate it ! gives me a good idea - i think the fx6 would probably be perfect for my 60 then and i can get a used one for way less than a sump- obviously i would go with a sump if i could but there is just no space and im not at the point where i wanna be drilling through walls

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No thank you for being so thorough i really appreciate it ! gives me a good idea - i think the fx6 would probably be perfect for my 60 then and i can get a used one for way less than a sump- obviously i would go with a sump if i could but there is just no space and im not at the point where i wanna be drilling through walls
I hear ya on going through walls lol

Also you could technically break up live rock and fill the canister to get an even more natural filtration. May want to use a filter sock to hold the pieces in when you put it in the canister but that would work too!

I actually might have to add some to mine next time hahahah

Good luck and which ever way you go keep us posted!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back