DIY Goby Cave

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone put together a goby cave to try to keep your goby from undermining your corals / rocks.

I picked up a Diamond Goby and did not know that they were cave builders. I've only seen them eat sand and spew it out their gill slits. Never saw one that actually built a cave. Well within two days mine has moved a bunch of sand from under a large Frogspawn causing it to now lean over into the glass. He has a partial cave...but looks like he's still mining around the Frogspawn. I'm not concerned about my rock becuase that was put directly on the glass before the sand was added.

Anyway, I was thinking about picking up a PVC conduit elbow and maybe some plumbing 45 elbows for the ends to try to build an artificial cave for this guy....open on both ends. I have no idea if he'd go into it and that is why I'm now inquiring. Has anyone tried something similiar? This is what a conduit elbow looks like:

ELL-90-1-orig.jpg

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back, I built a cave from small pieces of rubble rock for a jawfish.
I glued the pieces of rock together and then added some sand to the areas where I could see the glue. After the glue cured, I added the cave to the tank and the jawfish went right inside. After time, the rocks were covered with algae and such to blend in with the existing rock work; much better than a pic pipe.

I now use the cave for a pair of gobies.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas. Here's what I'm going to try....a combination of rock and pipe. I used one inch pipe. Might add a little more rock, but here it is:

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great improvised solutions! Love the rocks and barnacles opening! I also really like the rubble glued together with sand covering the glue, I'll steal that technique for my next nano.

20LogR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this for a pair of yasha goby and pistol. I put the pistol shrimp in the tank a few days before the goby were scheduled to come out of QT. Even though i used 1/2" PVC I think it was too big for the shrimp and he would just close up the entrance of the PVC and never come out. I had hoped that when the gobies where added he would stop permanently blockading the entrance all day....

Instead he just trapped the the of them inside the PVC house until I pulled it out of the sand and just dumped them in the tank. He's in the process of building them a proper home as we speak. I think if it was just the goby pair they would have been fine with the PVC as that is what they were happy living in during QT.

Stitchaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this for a pair of yasha goby and pistol. I put the pistol shrimp in the tank a few days before the goby were scheduled to come out of QT. Even though i used 1/2" PVC I think it was too big for the shrimp and he would just close up the entrance of the PVC and never come out. I had hoped that when the gobies where added he would stop permanently blockading the entrance all day....

Instead he just trapped the the of them inside the PVC house until I pulled it out of the sand and just dumped them in the tank. He's in the process of building them a proper home as we speak. I think if it was just the goby pair they would have been fine with the PVC as that is what they were happy living in during QT.

Did you try filling the pvc mostly with sand first? That way he can take as much as he wants out and it wont be too big for him?

Just a thought.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and what a great idea Paul.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back