DIY Iron Suppliment

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy,

Just checking, so all I was able to find at the pharmacy was Ferrous Sulfate. Is it okay to use this product? And if so, what recipe do you recommend? I saw a variation of #s of ML of water to mix with, but would love your input for this item in particular if its safe to use!

I have ~85 gallons of water

Thanks!

media

media

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is OK to use, but will precipitate from the water faster than the gluconate complex will. Some iron will undoubtedly bind to organics in the water (e.g., humic acids) and stay suspended long enough to be useful.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is OK to use, but will precipitate from the water faster than the gluconate complex will. Some iron will undoubtedly bind to organics in the water (e.g., humic acids) and stay suspended long enough to be useful.
So if understood properly, it's better to source the other one ;)

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it.. fergon is the brand name, not the ingredients I was looking for lol
Whoops

Any particular amount of r o d i, and ml dose you recommend for 85 gallon of water volume?

I am only doing a 5-gallon water change every week or two, so that's another reason why I plan to those. How often do you recommend dosing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY iron dose using Fergon tablets from a drug store:
Take 1 tablet and dissolve in 100 mL RO/DI (overnight soak). Let the solids settle out and use the liquid. Then I dose about 1-5 mL to my 200 gallons (dose is not critical) occasionally.

One tablet is 27 mg iron, so that dose comes to about 0.3 to 1.4 mg.

Put into 200 gallons, that's about 0.4 to 1.8 ppb.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thank you for the math breakdown. All I need to do is divide that a little more than 50% to get my dose. Since I have two extra heads on my dosing pump, I'll set it up for a weekly dose and keep an eye out to see what happens

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely will do! One last question, what are your thoughts on the increasing the amount of r o d i water, and having my dosing pump add it daily rather than weekly?

Maybe one tablet with 400 ml water, and I can do a 1 to 2 ml dose per day? Do you see any benefit in this?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern with diluting too much and leaving it around a long time is oxidation by O2 to Fe+++ and precipitation as ferric oxide/hydroxide.

If the solution turns brownish and has solids increasing in it, that may be the cause. Otherwise it is OK, and is likely worth a try.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only concern with diluting too much and leaving it around a long time is oxidation by O2 to Fe+++ and precipitation as ferric oxide/hydroxide.

If the solution turns brownish and has solids increasing in it, that may be the cause. Otherwise it is OK, and is likely worth a try.
Thank you very much. I'll keep an eye out!

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Randy I am just starting to look into dosing iron. I have a bottle of Nature Made iron as pictured in the first post. You stated it is safe, however will precipitate faster. I already have an open bottle from lack of compliance on my wife's part. What dilution would you recommend?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back