DIY King vs Pin Method for Acrylic Tank Construction....Major conflicting info out there!

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have been researching acrylic tank construction for several months now. I will be building my first tank over the Christmas holiday. My frag tank will be 2'x5'x12" H and I am pretty excited to make it. The most obvious "clash" of information has come from DIY King's imfamous "build your own acrylic tank" video (the one that is 41 minutes long). If you watch his video you are taught that you only have to wait 5 minutes between welds before you move on to the next step. He also doesn't use pins. He also welds vertical seams. He preps the acrylic edges with a hand scrapper.

Contrast this to the other literature and posts that acrylic experts posted out there. You must use pins for a good weld. If one pin is loose you need to shim the acrylic until it is perfectly even and all pins have equal pressure. You need to wait 4 hrs between making a weld and moving on to the next weld because moving before the 4 hr mark will cause structural damage to the weld area and your tank will fail. You may only do welds on horizontal seams (thus you must move the tank multiple times for each weld. If you do vertical welds they will fail. A router must be used for the edges. You must let the tank cure for a minimum of a week before putting water into it. This route seems like it is 10 times more work. Using the DIY King method, you can build an entire tank in an afternoon. Using this method you will build a tank over the span of a week.

What are people's thoughts? I am assuming that if you are making a small tank it doesn't matter as much, however I could be wrong on all accounts. Basically I feel like The DIY King has made big tanks using the method he describes and others have made great tanks with the longer method. Is there a right way? Or if you have a properly prepped edge do both methods work equally?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Lousybreed - while Joey (DIY king) has some very good info and tutorials, it is my humble opinion he missed the mark on this one. I don't know about you but when it comes to hosting an ecosystem, I want to do everything as best as possible to support that ecosystem. I am also a stickler for following true and proven methods. Additionally, I don't think I would be able to rest easy with the lingering thought that the acrylic tank I built could possibly fail at any time.

My friend, @Lowell Lemon is an acrylic aquarium expert. Maybe he'll chime in here and let us know his thoughts about tank construction.

Edit; I just noticed you're in Sussex, WI. We're not far from each other, at all. I'm in Algonquin, IL. There are many other WI reefers on here too. Are you familair with any of them?

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Lousybreed - while Joey (DIY king) has some very good info and tutorials, it is my humble opinion he missed the mark on this one. I don't know about you but when it comes to hosting an ecosystem, I want to do everything as best as possible to support that ecosystem. I am also a stickler for following true and proven methods. Additionally, I don't think I would be able to rest easy with the lingering thought that the acrylic tank I built could possibly fail at any time.

My friend, @Lowell Lemon is an acrylic aquarium expert. Maybe he'll chime in here and let us know his thoughts about tank construction.

Edit; I just noticed you're in Sussex, WI. We're not far from each other, at all. I'm in Algonquin, IL. There are many other WI reefers on here too. Are you familair with any of them?
I feel the same way. It's like you are cheating the "real" way. I am familiar with some of the reefers in WI....my relatives live in Algonquin. I do appreciate the input of experts and thanks for pinging your buddy. Excited to see others opinions!

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know anyone that is really good at acrylic fabrication however. I am kinda on my own right now.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anyone that is really good at acrylic fabrication however. I am kinda on my own right now.

Well, hopefully, Lowell isn't working too hard and we'll hear from him soon.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lousybreed,
You are asking for trouble using DYI kings recommended procedures. If I remember correctly many of his tanks failed in a short time. Your tank is not that big so you might get by but the seams will be ugly and weak.

You must bond all seams on the horizontal as it is the only way to control the solvent and the resulting chemical weld. You can push the assembly process time wise with about an hour between steps but you get the best bond by allowing more cure time.

Assemble the back and ends at one time. Then with a center support brace flip the back and ends onto the face. Make sure all your panels are the exact same height before bonding. Use a jig to hold the ends in place to prevent movement during or after removing the pins.

Next bond on your top with the routed out openings the flip over and bond on the bottom.

Use the router method, pins, and the solvent mix that is discussed on the Acrylic discussion on this site and you will have a project to be proud of.

You can find all the info at Acrylic Fabrication Q & A on this forum.

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pin method will give you the best bond. That being said it’s possible to make the other method work however I don’t think I would do it on a big tank. As far as waiting 4hrs it depends on what your making and how big it is.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lousybreed,
You are asking for trouble using DYI kings recommended procedures. If I remember correctly many of his tanks failed in a short time. Your tank is not that big so you might get by but the seams will be ugly and weak.

You must bond all seams on the horizontal as it is the only way to control the solvent and the resulting chemical weld. You can push the assembly process time wise with about an hour between steps but you get the best bond by allowing more cure time.

Assemble the back and ends at one time. Then with a center support brace flip the back and ends onto the face. Make sure all your panels are the exact same height before bonding. Use a jig to hold the ends in place to prevent movement during or after removing the pins.

Next bond on your top with the routed out openings the flip over and bond on the bottom.

Use the router method, pins, and the solvent mix that is discussed on the Acrylic discussion on this site and you will have a project to be proud of.

You can find all the info at Acrylic Fabrication Q & A on this forum.

Thanks @Lowell Lemon !

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys....really appreciate the help. I can mentally let go of the DIY method and do the proper method without have a voice telling me that i am wasting time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back