DIY Lid

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best material for a good looking diy lid that can be cut to size, many thanks

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mine out of a vinyl framed window screen. I disassembled it, cut the frame to size and restretched the screen. The actual screen is fiberglass, not metal.
6E37D352-BEFE-45E4-928A-F8D7234175CD.jpeg
B05156F8-3A7C-4BE7-A427-AEF0C0D90B27.jpeg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual screen is fiberglass, not metal.
Have you had it for a while? Fiberglass tends to fall apart and shed fibers when exposed to UV for long periods of time. If you get a closeup look at a fiberglass ladder that someone's had on the roof of their truck (like someone that does HVAC or electrical repairs), you can actually see the fibers coming out of it. Or, you can be like me and not know that was a thing until you climb up the ladder and spend a few minutes leaning on it while talking to the person on your roof while wondering why your arms itch so much.

ETA, forgot about the OP. The kit that BRS sells to make your own lid works fine. Some LFSs sell it as well. If you go that route, pick up a cheap miter box so you can cut make nice, square cuts and everything lines up.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had it for a while? Fiberglass tends to fall apart and shed fibers when exposed to UV for long periods of time. If you get a closeup look at a fiberglass ladder that someone's had on the roof of their truck (like someone that does HVAC or electrical repairs), you can actually see the fibers coming out of it. Or, you can be like me and not know that was a thing until you climb up the ladder and spend a few minutes leaning on it while talking to the person on your roof while wondering why your arms itch so much.

ETA, forgot about the OP. The kit that BRS sells to make your own lid works fine. Some LFSs sell it as well. If you go that route, pick up a cheap miter box so you can cut make nice, square cuts and everything lines up.

The fiberglass screen is UV protected and blocks light in my opinion. I would use bird netting or order screen from BRS or even Amazon in the black plastic 1/4" mesh.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The screen has been on for about 8-10 months. So far, so good with no deterioration from the UV.
The fiberglass screen is UV protected and blocks light in my opinion. I would use bird netting or order screen from BRS or even Amazon in the black plastic 1/4" mesh.
Have not tested PAR but I’ve got SPS growing (slowly but growing) under the screen with only a 30watt black box. Tank is an Evo 13.5.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back