Diy nitrate dosing solution

Sweedish15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to start dosing nitrates to my system as I can’t keep it above 0-1 ppm no matter how much food I feed the fish. I am looking to make a diy solution that Kim mocks the fish of hex tirarte solution, but he took down the video that explains how he makes the solution, likely because he started selling it. I know it’s made from this product and rodi water :

Randy can you chime in as to what ratio/how much powder I should mix to create my own concentrated nitrate solution. I’m looking to dose daily. Or if anyone has the old video they could share.

thank you in advance for any insight.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dosing calculator
Use this for a guide. I've used Loudwolf sodium nitrate, which mixes a little stronger than KNO3, but not enough to cause an issue or overdose. Just select potassium nitrate, then fill in the appropriate amounts. I usually make a 250mL solution, so adjust the amounts to your liking.

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to start dosing nitrates to my system as I can’t keep it above 0-1 ppm no matter how much food I feed the fish. I am looking to make a diy solution that Kim mocks the fish of hex tirarte solution, but he took down the video that explains how he makes the solution, likely because he started selling it. I know it’s made from this product and rodi water :

Randy can you chime in as to what ratio/how much powder I should mix to create my own concentrated nitrate solution. I’m looking to dose daily. Or if anyone has the old video they could share.

thank you in advance for any insight.

I too just got my shipment from GLA. I have been battling with low nitrates, same readings as you. Using James planted tank calculator as mentioned in previous post , I mixed approximately 200 grams to 1 liter of RO water. I dosed 1ml to my tank. I finally got a reading, I’m hovering around 5-10ppm with my phosphates at .01.

Do small doses and check within 15-20 minutes to see what you have.
HR

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too just got my shipment from GLA. I have been battling with low nitrates, same readings as you. Using James planted tank calculator as mentioned in previous post , I mixed approximately 200 grams to 1 liter of RO water. I dosed 1ml to my tank. I finally got a reading, I’m hovering around 5-10ppm with my phosphates at .01.

Do small doses and check within 15-20 minutes to see what you have.
HR

If you are dosing nitrates now, with a PO4 reading of .01 (not .10?) then you better get some Neophos or trisodium phosphate dripping. Dosing nitrate will lower PO4 every time. With a testing error of +-.02 on a Hanna, you could be dragging zero which won't be a happy place for long. Took months to dig out of the dino mess that got me into. Many a white tip acro too.

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dosing nitrates now, with a PO4 reading of .01 (not .10?) then you better get some Neophos or trisodium phosphate dripping. Dosing nitrate will lower PO4 every time. With a testing error of +-.02 on a Hanna, you could be dragging zero which won't be a happy place for long. Took months to dig out of the dino mess that got me into. Many a white tip acro too.

Thanks for the advice, about to do a check later on this evening. This is truly a balancing act.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back