DIY Overflow question

nolen502

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a few of the cheapo hob filters from walmart, could i drill a hole in the back of one, silicone a pvc elbow in and just plumb it to a sump just letting it suck the water into it? im also going to use a small piece of acrylic to block off where the water normally runs back into the tank. im not to good at writing stuff up lol but if this is understandable would it work?

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably have to put a bulkhead in the bottom and the have a u pipe from the tank into the hang on. You going to have a tough time adjusting the water height in the display tho. I have a Tom's Aquatic Overflow and its basicall what you are thinking. have a syphon pull water into the box and the drain into a sump. The thing it there are adjustments on my overflow to change the water level. You would have to figure out some way to connect a drain pipe to the bulkhead that you could raise and lower accordingly. Also you have to ensure that there is a constant level of water in the overflow wier in order to maintain the syphon from the tank into the box. Youd be better off to sell the old hang ons and buy a good syphon overflow because the way youre thinking is going to be trouble and end up in a flood for sure.

OP
OP
N

nolen502

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh ok. well i have a few 5 gallon tanks here so i may try it anyway and build a little system and see how long it runs before i have a problem.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 120 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back