DIY Phytoplankton Culture

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefNerd76
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
If this was already addressed sorry,

any K rating requirements on the light source (ie photosynthesis areas of spectrum)

I'm growing mine under 6500 k t5's

I think as long as you keep the kelvin rating for plants you will be ok. I wouldn't use a 20,000 k or a similar blue bulb to grow phyto or pods. Who knows though it could work.
 
20161216_200309.jpg


My new setup
 
My Culture crashed, do no more updates until I buy a new starter culture in a few weeks
 
Very nice! I've actually had the same culture of copepods going since early 2004! Here is my most recent harvest. Notice the surface agitation where you can see the reflected light. Tons of egg-carrying adults.

* Make sure to set the video resolution to 1080 so you can see them.


Thats awesome.
 
When giving the phyto light for 8 hours, does the remaining 16 hours have to be pitch black? Or will it be ok if there’s still residual light from the windows in the room?
 
Phyto should get 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness.
 
How do you know when it’s ready to be used? Just wait exactly one week?
 
Very nice! I've actually had the same culture of copepods going since early 2004! Here is my most recent harvest. Notice the surface agitation where you can see the reflected light. Tons of egg-carrying adults.

* Make sure to set the video resolution to 1080 so you can see them.


Wow.
 
Phyto should get 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness.

For reference, I’ve been lighting my Nanno and Iso cultures 24/7 for four months now, no issues that I can attribute to lighting.

I have had some cultures crash, no rhyme or reason found yet.

5B2A584E-E08A-4125-AAEF-FF268E86DB37.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new