DIY Pico

ShrimpTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I am going to be taking on the challenges of building a tank from scratch, and doing a pico reef! Im new to reef tanks and would love as much advice as I can get! Im planning to build the tank to be overall 8"x8"x8" and leaving a 2" section in the back to do an AIO setup, so the display will be 8"x8"x6". Im mostly going to stock with a couple of shrimp but am open to livestock suggestions! One thing I definitely need help with is lighting! Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good reef light for something so small? I will keep the thread updated with pictures through the process!

Last edited:

Squid_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to see the pico coming to life :)

To give you an idea, I've made mine out of a 10"x10"x10"cube - the sump is 2.7" wide (mostly to fits the pump I got) so it leaves me with a display of approximately 10"x10"x6.3".

I would advise to draw a rough scamp of you tank on a paper and to place you return pump etc... see if it all fits as it would probably be the only 'restriction' you'll have for the tank size.

OP
OP
S

ShrimpTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look forward to see the pico coming to life :)

To give you an idea, I've made mine out of a 10"x10"x10"cube - the sump is 2.7" wide (mostly to fits the pump I got) so it leaves me with a display of approximately 10"x10"x6.3".

I would advise to draw a rough scamp of you tank on a paper and to place you return pump etc... see if it all fits as it would probably be the only 'restriction' you'll have for the tank size.
Ive already been looking around for a return pump that wont be too strong for such a small tank. Im currently looking at the return pump for a Fluval Spec I & II that will go between 16-33 gph, but i am open to suggestions on a different pump?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back