DIY Radeon clone?

masterofstuff124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wowza this is exciting.
radeon black boxes ?
ive loved my black box leds. very serviceable, cheap, simple.
had them for years!
im capable of building the designs in this thread much like I was when the black boxes first appeared.
I cant shake the feeling that radeon boxes are likely on the way as others in this thread have mentioned.
heres to hoping this will be a thing and it has accessible pinouts/cable for reefpi.
was there ever a diy equivalent to the cheaply purchased blackboxes on ebay? better housing drivers etc.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapidled used to sell a DIY radion clone. Not as cheap to do as these options but still a great deal for sure.

corey

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devil's Advocate..

Why do you want clones?
Most don't use the full power of the radions as is..Therefore you can make it better.

As to Reef pi just get 5VPWM dc/dc drivers and a AC/DC switching power supply to simplify it..
If you "do" Apex (or the like) just get 0-10v AC/DC drivers..

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of your links are all.. err.. busted..
Channel 1 (14-15V 350-1000mA) - 2 semiLED UV 395nm + 2 semiLED UV 415nm
Channel 2 (12V 350-1500mA) - 4 XTE White 6500K
Channel 3 (12V 350-1000mA) - 4 XPE2 Blue 480nm
Channel 4 (12V 350-1500mA) - 4 XTE Royal Blue 455nm
Channel 5 (12V 350-1000mA) - 2x XPE2 Green 530nm + 1x XPE2 Yellow 590nm + 2x XPE Red 660nm

not seeing drivers though..
and w/ out driver choice your power supply choice is indeterminate..

For example if you use LDD drivers your minimum voltage to make sur all channels were working at the chosen current is.. roughly..15V +3 V(driver overhead sort of) = 18V

Second if you do dual pucks and put the channels in series (eliminating 1 driver per channel) you need
14x2 + 3 = 31V

Being new to LEDs, can you please explain in a fairly simple way what the LDD drivers do? From what I can tell, they allow a controller to adjust the power of the LEDs via PWM and happen to have a 3V drop in power across them. I know there's something here that I'm missing.

wowza this is exciting.
radeon black boxes ?
ive loved my black box leds. very serviceable, cheap, simple.
had them for years!
im capable of building the designs in this thread much like I was when the black boxes first appeared.
I cant shake the feeling that radeon boxes are likely on the way as others in this thread have mentioned.
heres to hoping this will be a thing and it has accessible pinouts/cable for reefpi.
was there ever a diy equivalent to the cheaply purchased blackboxes on ebay? better housing drivers etc.

There are "SB blackbox lights" that are suposedly better quality and spectrum, though I've not used them myself. They also sell parts that you can use to upgrade your existing BB lights. I'm not sure about any other sources to upgrade or do a pure DIY blackbox light.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to LEDs, can you please explain in a fairly simple way what the LDD drivers do? From what I can tell, they allow a controller to adjust the power of the LEDs via PWM and happen to have a 3V drop in power across them. I know there's something here that I'm missing.
They raise or lower voltage to the diode strings so they maintain a SET mA draw..

Technically they dim by shutting the diodes off and on i.e at 50% dim diodes are on 50% of the time.. off 50% of the time..
How fast this occurs is set by the controller..commonly 500Hz

Last edited:

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They raise or lower voltage to the diode strings so they maintain a SET mA draw..

Technically they dim by shutting the diodes off and on i.e at 50% dim diodes are on 50% of the time.. off 50% of the time..
How fast this occurs is set by the controller..commonly 500Hz
Thanks. I was thinking they did the opposite, where they maintained the voltage but adjusted the mA draw based on the PWM input.

I'm not sure exactly how a PWM module works. Meaning what is the signal it outputs to control the driver? is the output signal simply the square wave that makes the LEDs pulse on and off? or something like a 0-10V?

So from an economical standpoint, I'm assuming it would be best to run as many LED modules off of each driver as possible. So for example, the LDD-1000H driver says it has an output up to 52V, so the most 12V arrays I could do in series would be 4 @ 12V each, so 48V desired at the output of the LDD-1000H. So I'd need a 51VDC input to the LDD driver. Then a PWM controller would be used to pulse the circuit on/off at a set rate to control the dimming. So the LDD essentially controls the DC voltage input (that might have some variation?) and also allows the power to be pulsed on/off via PWM which is set via a controller.

For the setup I'd like with 10 arrays, could a single controller be used to control all of the LDD drivers on several LDD boards? Either the storm X or bluefish controller.

Thanks again for helping me with all of these questions.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly how a PWM module works. Meaning what is the signal it outputs to control the driver? is the output signal simply the square wave that makes the LEDs pulse on and off? or something like a 0-10V?

So from an economical standpoint, I'm assuming it would be best to run as many LED modules off of each driver as possible. So for example, the LDD-1000H driver says it has an output up to 52V, so the most 12V arrays I could do in series would be 4 @ 12V each, so 48V desired at the output of the LDD-1000H. So I'd need a 51VDC input to the LDD driver. Then a PWM controller would be used to pulse the circuit on/off at a set rate to control the dimming. So the LDD essentially controls the DC voltage input (that might have some variation?) and also allows the power to be pulsed on/off via PWM which is set via a controller.

For the setup I'd like with 10 arrays, could a single controller be used to control all of the LDD drivers on several LDD boards? Either the storm X or bluefish controller.

Thanks again for helping me with all of these questions.

first, dimming "protocols" can be either 0-10v (1-10v) or PWM (5 or 10V common) or poteniometer .
some drivers do change the mA output for dimming but VERY uncommon nowadays, as far as I can tell.
some drivers may LIST it as .005 -500mA but usually that is an "average" over time..
Like 500mA 1/2 the time is 250mA full err "cycle"..

The input doesn't have to be the same as output.
I.e a 5 V "analog" signal still outputs a PWM voltage.
Ldds though are PWM input.. PWM output to the diodes.

volts add in series..current adds in parallel.
5 series strings of 5 diodes in parallel w/ a V(f) @ "y" current of, say, 3V = 15V per series string and 15V overall regardless of the number of parallel strings.
What would change is say "y" is equal to 700mA
700mA x 5 =3
500mA

So a ps of 15V (pretend zero driver overhead) needs to be capable of outputting 3500mA (or 52.5W.. VxA =W)

THIS is a design for a constant voltage set up. Resistor substitutes for a driver. Ohms change as the supply constant voltage increases from "spec"..
cvoltage.jpg

In a constant current array each string will have a driver..well most of the time.
One can "split" the driver but each string (assume 2 for now) will get 1/2 of the rated current of the driver.

Length of string depends on added V(f)'s (AGAIN at your desired current, and the voltage will fluctuate w/ use..i.e heating) and the size of your switching power supply voltage..

for "fun" the guts of a driver..bottom right corner is the MOSFET "switch" that flickers the diodes (5)..
due to the conversion circuitry this driver chip can use both analog (.6-2.5v approx) or PWM(2.6-5.5V PWM) input..
driverblock.jpg

Last edited:

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first, dimming "protocols" can be either 0-10v (1-10v) or PWM (5 or 10V common) or poteniometer .
some drivers do change the mA output for dimming but VERY uncommon nowadays, as far as I can tell.
some drivers may LIST it as .005 -500mA but usually that is an "average" over time..
Like 500mA 1/2 the time is 250mA full err "cycle"..

The input doesn't have to be the same as output.
I.e a 5 V "analog" signal still outputs a PWM voltage.
Ldds though are PWM input.. PWM output to the diodes.

volts add in series..current adds in parallel.
5 series strings of 5 diodes in parallel w/ a V(f) @ "y" current of, say, 3V = 15V per series string and 15V overall regardless of the number of parallel strings.
What would change is say "y" is equal to 700mA
700mA x 5 =3
500mA

So a ps of 15V (pretend zero driver overhead) needs to be capable of outputting 3500mA (or 52.5W.. VxA =W)

THIS is a design for a constant voltage set up. Resistor substitutes for a driver. Ohms change as the supply constant voltage increases from "spec"..
cvoltage.jpg

In a constant current array each string will have a driver..well most of the time.
One can "split" the driver but each string (assume 2 for now) will get 1/2 of the rated current of the driver.

Length of string depends on added V(f)'s (AGAIN at your desired current, and the voltage will fluctuate w/ use..i.e heating) and the size of your switching power supply voltage..

for "fun" the guts of a driver..bottom right corner is the MOSFET "switch" that flickers the diodes (5)..
due to the conversion circuitry this driver chip can use both analog (.6-2.5v approx) or PWM(2.6-5.5V PWM) input..
driverblock.jpg
Thank you again for the detailed explanation! I've read through a few times and think I'm getting it now. Will have to read a few more times lol. I'll revisit my plan and see what changes I need to make.

joyz76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys i started Building my clone.
Now i have to find a way to use it in my refugium, don't know how to hang It. The light seems very good and powerful.
20200125_214718.jpg
20200125_213417.jpg

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I got completely screwed by Dave over at nanobox. He sold me a fixture with a busted array and dodged my emails so I guess it'll never be addressed...

Since I have a busted array I'm thinking of keeping my good array in the center and adding a radion clone array on each side.

What are you guys using these days?

Last edited:

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I got completely screwed by Dave over at nanobox. He sold me a fixture with a busted array and dodged my emails so I guess it'll never be addressed...

Since I have a busted array I'm thinking of keeping my good array in the center and adding a radion clone array on each side.

What are you guys using these days?

I finally got in touch with dave and just wanted to give an update that he will actually be honoring my warranty. I didn't want to leave a bad comment out here on the internet without acknowledging that he did the right thing.

Since I was looking around looking at the radion clone arrays and found some for 30 bucks, I figured I'd put an order in and check them out. My tank could definitely use some supplemental LEDS and the radion clone arrays will probably take a few weeks to get in.

jvswan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are y’all using for lenses? Are y’all adding 13mm lenses to the pucks? I’m going to build four lights for my 120 that is 28” deep. I’m wondering if I need the additional lenses to get good light penetration.

reefslope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen this yet?

I found a few LED blanks looking around for some 8 channel pucks. The one I linked is 5 channel but I saw a 3 or 4 channel one as well. Has anyone had the idea to make their own puck to achieve their own spectrum? Anyone know where to get LED's to fit this?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Cree XPE XPE2 XPG XPG2 XTE XPL LED.
SMD3535 pad geometry seems to be listed..
Digikey and ebay are some likely sources though singles or small lots aren't always easy to find..

Last edited:

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was actually able to easily find the LED diodes that fit that board in each spectrum you'd want for a reef tank. I see that they are all rated for 700ma at 3 watts. I'm thinking that may be a fun route to explore. Essentially create a XR30 G4 Pro with less white and more usable blue. Price wise it will be about the same as ordering a puck with LED's attached already.

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am thinking about trying this out. Do you think this layout will work?
DIY Lights Layout.PNG

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!!!!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am thinking about trying this out. Do you think this layout will work?
DIY Lights Layout.PNG

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!!!!
What is the cumulative V(f) of each channel?
Normally one can't run 4 "puck channel" in series off 48V's (48-3V for the LDD's= 45V) even w/ some adj in the ps ..though it, at times,it is close.

C_mo97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the cumulative V(f) of each channel?
Normally one can't run 4 "puck channel" in series off 48V's (48-3V for the LDD's= 45V) even w/ some adj in the ps ..though it, at times,it is close.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Channel-...897177?hash=item1caddb0859:g:SkEAAOSw945bF566

I am using these pucks with the following specifications.

Specification
Channel 1 (14-15V 350-1000mA) - 2 semiLED UV 395nm + 2 semiLED UV 415nm
Channel 2 (12V 350-1500mA) - 4 XTE White 6500K
Channel 3 (12V 350-1000mA) - 4 XPE2 Blue 480nm
Channel 4 (12V 350-1500mA) - 4 XTE Royal Blue 455nm
Channel 5 (12V 350-1000mA) - 2x XPE2 Green 530nm + 1x XPE2 Yellow 590nm + 2x XPE Red 660nm

So I am guessing I won't be able to run 4 in series. Is there another power supply you would recommend or do you think I should use two of the 48s?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back