DIY Radeon clone?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I absolutely love my hyperviolets so yes to 3. I dont run mint but really want to. From what I have heard they are pretty well represented when used.

What kind of look are you getting right now with those arrays at the levels you want to run them at?

Unfortunately, as much as it saddens me to say, I don't have a tank up right now. Dry rock still cycling in a tote. I may take the 40b that will be the sump and fill it up, throw a couple dry rocks in there and out the light over it.

On a side note, added 3 hypers and 4 mints. Got rid of the green and yellow/amber. I'm digging the look in free air. I tried pictures against a light color wall, but the color didn't look right in the pictures.

20191006_204306.jpg

20191006_204125.jpg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, she's mostly cleaned and buttoned up. Final load out is 8 Blue (700ma), Royal Blue (700ma), Cool White (350ma), 4 Mint (1A) 8 Violet (700), 3 HyperViolet (700), 4 395nm (700), 2 amber (700ma).

Now need to sort out getting pwm, gnd, and power to the fixture. I'm thinking cat6 for pwm, problem is I need 9 conductors to run 8 channels one to carry gnd :confused:. Easiest solution I suppose is to link two of the channels into one, maybe Blue and Royal Blue or Violet and HyperViolet.

As for connectors, maybe back to aviation connector for power and I suppose Cat5/6 for pwm signal.

20191007_211810.jpg

20191007_211822.jpg

Gotta fix those upper few wires, driving my OCD crazy.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
News? i'm interested :)

Me? She's done. I took off the additional Hyperviolets as it was too purple for me and added a 3up pc cyan.

20191201_144034.jpg

This is it next to a viparspectra (sorry no tank shots yet).

20191206_073941.jpg

Getting a par meter in a next couple months so should be in a better place to draw any conclusions.

joyz76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried to understand in the previous posts but i didnt: did you ask to the manifacturer to customize the leds? and do you know led manufacturer and models?
so you didn't use it yet?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i tried to understand in the previous posts but i didnt: did you ask to the manifacturer to customize the leds? and do you know led manufacturer and models?
so you didn't use it yet?

The main 23 led pucks aren't custom, they're just radion clones. The led manufacturer of those leds is thus unknown. The rest are just individual "known" manufacturer leds (luxeon ES Rebel cyan and Sunplus C MINT).

Correct, those have not been tested over a tank as I'm still awaiting delivery of the tank itself. Just picked it up as a DIY project while I waited on the tank. Again, until I get a par meter I won't know specifics, but I have no reason to doubt that it will work and grow coral. Just a matter of how well and the desired visual appearance.

Hope that makes sense.

joyz76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to know the power consumption of the pucks compared to the radion g4 pro.
Radion are 190w, is this puck 95 each?

joyz76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but i doubt they are... if you see their schemes, it seems they are just 50w
1575830871469.png

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ready through the whole thread and though I'm no electronics expert, I think I could muddle my way through making these. I am curious from those who have done it if it was worth the effort and cost to make these, especially if used to replace something like a blackbox LED. I currently have the Viparspectra LEDs, which are fine, but can't quite get the bright colors people get on their coral with radions.

For a 150 gallon tank (72" long, 27" tall, 18" deep) how many pucks would be recommended? I'd plan on wiring all pucks to the drivers in parallel so all pucks can be controlled at once, but still give the ability to adjust spectrums.

I didn't notice a complete build list of parts, but may have missed it if there was one. I'll have to reread the thread. Hoping I can build the fixture fairly affordably so I can justify doing it, then hope to get a big chunk of the money back by selling my blackboxes if this works out.

joyz76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided to buy the 21 led version customized with cree and semileds.
I chose this configuration:

Channel1 415 395 395 415
Channel2 480 480 480 480
Channel3 455 455 455 455
Channel4 White White White White
Channel5 415 RED/660 395 GREEN/525 415

Where:
white is CREE XPG2 6500k
415 is Semileds uv415nm
395 is Semlieds uv395nm
480 is CREE XPE BLUE 480nm
455 is CREE XTE royal blue 455nm
RED is CREE XPE red 660nm
GREEN is CREE XPE green 530nm

What do you think about this?

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this type of power supply/driver work for the LED pucks? I don't know if a PWR could be used with these or not. This would be my first LED build, so I could be way off here. Still trying to put my own build list together so I can get a total price for the light set I want to build.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this type of power supply/driver work for the LED pucks? I don't know if a PWR could be used with these or not. This would be my first LED build, so I could be way off here. Still trying to put my own build list together so I can get a total price for the light set I want to build.

Estimated (note estimated) highest channel voltage is 13.
That ps you posted is "possibly" useable based on this line:

Input: 110V/220V AC; Output: DC 12V 30A max. Output voltage is adjustable 15%

IF you run 2 in series.. i.e so as to eliminate one driver (each channel needs a driver which is what will do the dimming)
you double that.. Voltages add in series..
So 2 in series would need 26V..
So going w/ an ADJUSTABLE 24V ps or a 36V (no worries) would be recommended.

350W shoud be OK..But that needs to be eiher estimated w/ the # of drivers or more accurately w/ channel voltages and driver mA's..OR really more accurate by measuring the ACTUAL voltage of channels and current.

Sounds confusing but it's actually quite straight forward..
eg 1st way to estimate.. 10 drivers used w 700mA output = 7A ability needed..84W at 12V

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for someone more experienced with electronics/LEDs to look at my parts list and do a sanity check please.

I decided if I'm going to upgrade from black box lights to the DIY radions, I'm going to want 10 pucks over my 150 gallon display for the best coverage and versatility. That being said, I'm trying to do this on as much of a budget as possible and all said and done am around $850-900 to make the lights if my parts list works. I'm not looking for any fancy controls, no need for ramping or wifi control or anything light that for me. I'm simply looking to get good quality light spectrum, spread, and intensity for my reef and plan on just using outlet timers for the controls to save on cost.

Power supplies (12V)

I plan on getting 3 of these to supply power to the LEDs. Would be lighting my tank with 5 pucks on the right side, and 5 on the left, so due to power limitations, I plan to control the right and left sides of the tank independently and simply adjust each side to the same power on each color channel. So result would be 10 controllable channels if looking at each half of the tank individually. LED pucks to be run in parallel off of these power supplies.

Power Supplies (15V)

For the UV channel that is 14-15V

LED arrays
These are the same arrays others have used. Seems to be a close match to the radions

Dimmers for each channel

Would get 10 of these to dim each channel

Cooling Fans
One of these for each heat sink. Plan to have 6 heat sinks. Some with 2 LED arrays, some with 1.

Heat Sink
6 of these

Does this set up make sense? I'm planning on using the power supplies with the dimmers in series, then out of the dimmers would be 5 wires in parallel to 5 different LED arrays to power a single color channel. Then the outlet of each array go back to the - side of the power supply. Power on and off would simply be done with an outlet timer for each power supply, so only on/off control. I'll have the fans powered by their own power supply and timer set to run them 30 minutes before until 30 minutes after the lights are on.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'd love to know how well these would work.
I mean how hard can it be. You know that most of the leds are made in China right? So if parts are showing up in the market and someone with some diy skills will produce an exact copy of radion lights in 1/10th of its retail cost. Just like the 80% lower if you know what I meant.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an idea if no already mentioned. Someone will buy all the parts and made some radion copies and flood the market, it’s going to be interesting.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for someone more experienced with electronics/LEDs to look at my parts list and do a sanity check please.

I decided if I'm going to upgrade from black box lights to the DIY radions, I'm going to want 10 pucks over my 150 gallon display for the best coverage and versatility. That being said, I'm trying to do this on as much of a budget as possible and all said and done am around $850-900 to make the lights if my parts list works. I'm not looking for any fancy controls, no need for ramping or wifi control or anything light that for me. I'm simply looking to get good quality light spectrum, spread, and intensity for my reef and plan on just using outlet timers for the controls to save on cost.

Power supplies (12V)

I plan on getting 3 of these to supply power to the LEDs. Would be lighting my tank with 5 pucks on the right side, and 5 on the left, so due to power limitations, I plan to control the right and left sides of the tank independently and simply adjust each side to the same power on each color channel. So result would be 10 controllable channels if looking at each half of the tank individually. LED pucks to be run in parallel off of these power supplies.

Power Supplies (15V)

For the UV channel that is 14-15V

LED arrays
These are the same arrays others have used. Seems to be a close match to the radions

Dimmers for each channel

Would get 10 of these to dim each channel

Cooling Fans
One of these for each heat sink. Plan to have 6 heat sinks. Some with 2 LED arrays, some with 1.

Heat Sink
6 of these

Does this set up make sense? I'm planning on using the power supplies with the dimmers in series, then out of the dimmers would be 5 wires in parallel to 5 different LED arrays to power a single color channel. Then the outlet of each array go back to the - side of the power supply. Power on and off would simply be done with an outlet timer for each power supply, so only on/off control. I'll have the fans powered by their own power supply and timer set to run them 30 minutes before until 30 minutes after the lights are on.

Some of your links are all.. err.. busted..
Channel 1 (14-15V 350-1000mA) - 2 semiLED UV 395nm + 2 semiLED UV 415nm
Channel 2 (12V 350-1500mA) - 4 XTE White 6500K
Channel 3 (12V 350-1000mA) - 4 XPE2 Blue 480nm
Channel 4 (12V 350-1500mA) - 4 XTE Royal Blue 455nm
Channel 5 (12V 350-1000mA) - 2x XPE2 Green 530nm + 1x XPE2 Yellow 590nm + 2x XPE Red 660nm

not seeing drivers though..
and w/ out driver choice your power supply choice is indeterminate..

For example if you use LDD drivers your minimum voltage to make sur all channels were working at the chosen current is.. roughly..15V +3 V(driver overhead sort of) = 18V

Second if you do dual pucks and put the channels in series (eliminating 1 driver per channel) you need
14x2 + 3 = 31V

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back