DIY Radeon clone?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my discussions with LED group buy and Rapid LED and Steve's, there isn't a 3 watt 420nm that can handle over 700ma that is readily available. You should actually run them at 600ma but they will still pulse to 700ma.

I was kinda bummed about this until I realized the PAR and PUR you get out of them even at this power.

Just FYI.

(I know someone is going to post a link to one that can handle more power, but, I did say readily available. That also means a reasonable cost for DIY)

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the lumileds can take it that blueacro uses, but there the only ones I know of.

Plans on driving mine are 700mah, and just limiting them to 90% should be ok. going to run the whole array I think on 700s except for the RB and i'll do those at 1amp, going to add 6 Luxeon C RB to that channel. and going to add 2 Luxeon C Mints to the white. (might do 4 mints and put them on there own channel)

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys think a 12inch makers slim heatsink is enough? prolly will have 2 92mm fans on it running at 7V to keep it cool.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you won't be running all channels on full and you will be actively cooling it, I would say yes. Just keep an eye on it at first to be sure.

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two arrays on my 12" heat sink and one fan and it is cool to the touch.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard much from the blue acro camp. I was looking to buy another 4 of the ones I have from him but not received any response back. Having said that the four that I have work well and punch through the 30" depth I have. I just need four more :D If I don't end up getting any from him I was leaning towards the multi chips from Nanobox. I like how those look and are cheaper. I think they could fit in with my set up.

Something probably got lost in the shuffle - let me know!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone on this thread document their build process? I would love to read through it if so!

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a few builds in here. also google other diy light builds. I'll prolly make update posts but prolly won't step by step the whole thing.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a few builds in here. also google other diy light builds. I'll prolly make update posts but prolly won't step by step the whole thing.

Yeah there were a few in here that went through the build list which was helpful. A how-to thread would be awesome, but totally get it!

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are looking to build a led light, there are plenty that have done it, heck shoot me a PM and I can help out too. I'm kinda a diy junky and led nerd.

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are rated for a Max current on 800 mA, they should be ran at 600 mA. Depends on your cooling solution.

OP
OP
Kampo

Kampo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of those on order. I think it's prolly fine without supplement. I'm planning on ading 2 mints to the white and 4 royal blue to the royal blue for some headroom on that channel.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back