OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that MT uses 2 optical IR sensors and cutouts in the carousel plastic to encode the position of which vial is under the home position.
Super, thanks for this info!

I have still not decided whether to use optilcal sensors (which would encode start/end position) or to use RGB sensor which can encode the same informtion but possibly in a more granular way...

For the rig moving moving parts - it will be optical switches (definitely), the one thing I am a bit hesitant is whether to have 2 switches (start/end) or just 1 end switch.. I don't think I need 2 switches for each axis, but I look forward to your comments and will decide in due time..

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting design! Do you need a special "dark box" for the color detection or any non-trasparent plastic will do?
I have never used the RGB sensor before... As I understood - it has a built-in wide spectrum LED (warm white) and it detects/measures reflected light. I will be in a position to know once I tried it..

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting together syringe actuator...

about 50% done..

20220113_191706.jpg

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting design! Do you need a special "dark box" for the color detection or any non-trasparent plastic will do?
I am going to make a case out of black acrylic for more accurate results but so far testing it just in normal light it is reasonably accurate. The sensor is fairly deep in a 3D printed housing so it does not interact too much with light anyways.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a full assembly/disassembly of the actuator parts (everything can be dis-assembled into components), polished some of them, tightened screws/balanced their alighnment.. Also added screws for brass nut screw to keep it firmly in place..

20220114_152030.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really amazing.... I am a software developer and have a good mind for engineering, however, I do not have the tools to machine parts.. and 3D printing quality is low... :(

Seems that your go to material is acrylic.. What do you use to cut, refine and polish?

Another challenge is finding parts... especially because I don't know the actual names for many parts. :)

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really amazing.... I am a software developer and have a good mind for engineering, however, I do not have the tools to machine parts.. and 3D printing quality is low... :(

Seems that your go to material is acrylic.. What do you use to cut, refine and polish?

Another challenge is finding parts... especially because I don't know the actual names for many parts. :)
I face the same challenge of not knowing the names of parts - but after repeated googling I eventualy find an image of a the part I was looking for, from which I learn the proper name for it.. Then I google the proper name - and find a selection of parts that I was looking for..
As for acrylic - I do everything by hand: fine toothed hand saw (9 teeth per inch), drill bits, rotary sanding belt using on simple electirc drill (and rotary grinder I also have) and metal files - is what I use to cut/polish parts..

Last edited:

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used the RGB sensor before... As I understood - it has a built-in wide spectrum LED (warm white) and it detects/measures reflected light. I will be in a position to know once I tried it..
I think you'll be much better off if you measure the light that passed through the sample rather than reflected light. I.e. not use the onboard LED, but place another white LED on the opposite side of the cuvette.

These are the optometric cuvettes I was talking about. Two opposite walls are made of thin optical glass. This is the 10x10mm size, but there are many other sizes available. I think this is much better than the round vials as used by Hanna.
IMG_5848.jpg

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be much better off if you measure the light that passed through the sample rather than reflected light. I.e. not use the onboard LED, but place another white LED on the opposite side of the cuvette.

These are the optometric cuvettes I was talking about. Two opposite walls are made of thin optical glass. This is the 10x10mm size, but there are many other sizes available. I think this is much better than the round vials as used by Hanna.
IMG_5848.jpg
I am currently shining a light through the vial and then using the adafruit rgb sensor on the other side. So far this has given me very good accuracy and reliability when the sensor and led is kept at the same position in a dark housing.

geddavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally I use McMaster car part for all my parts. Its a bit expensive but they have everything you need and it’s pretty easy to find things even without a name just by sorting through by category.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently shining a light through the vial and then using the adafruit rgb sensor on the other side. So far this has given me very good accuracy and reliability when the sensor and led is kept at the same position in a dark housing.
This is very helpful! I will incorporate PWM LED signal for LED when designing connector for RGB sensor (I still have not sent the boards for printing).

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a bit of a delay to the project - just didn't have enough time to progress.

My next step is to build flexible syringe mounts on the actuator and complete that part of assembly..

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I use McMaster car part for all my parts. Its a bit expensive but they have everything you need and it’s pretty easy to find things even without a name just by sorting through by category.
If you visit any ebay CNC shop - it would most likely have any parts you desire. Unfortunately McMaster is a US&A shop - and not availabe here in the United Kazakistan (aka UK). But I apprecite your feedback - and hopefuly that's helpful for others (should they decide to build their own robotic tester)!

Cheers,

V.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5848.jpg
Thank you!

Minhaj Qazi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you visit any ebay CNC shop - it would most likely have any parts you desire. Unfortunately McMaster is a US&A shop - and not availabe here in the United Kazakistan (aka UK). But I apprecite your feedback - and hopefuly that's helpful for others (should they decide to build their own robotic tester)!

Cheers,

V.
Waiting for end Result. May be u get an Order from Pak.

Back