Diy skimmer

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More for freshwater @GHOSTLY imo
It looks like it would be inefficient for the wattage used and would probably over or under skim and give off microbubble which is a whole other issue

A diy marine skimmer would look more like this guy with a needle based pump and adjustable airflow to skim wet or dry depending on preference
And they only cost 69.99 us which is probably cheaper and more precise than something u can whip up in your garage and will be more efficient in wattage and will skim efficiently as long as you keep up on maintenance scrubbing the collection cup and emptying it in the sink 2x a day once in the morning and once at night and then scrubbing the collection cup after

Or this it could sit behind the weir in a aio or cube setup or in the sump but if you were to put this guy in the aio chamber it might not fit if u have a stock weir it would probably only fit in a custom interior overflow or aio kit and u may have to get a medium to large bioblock to raise it to desired water level

Or if u wanna avoid it all together u could run a hob and lose out on a small corner of tank space but some of these little guys pack a wallop

Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More for freshwater @GHOSTLY imo
It looks like it would be inefficient for the wattage used and would probably over or under skim and give off microbubble which is a whole other issue

A diy marine skimmer would look more like this guy with a needle based pump and adjustable airflow to skim wet or dry depending on preference
And they only cost 69.99 us which is probably cheaper and more precise than something u can whip up in your garage and will be more efficient in wattage and will skim efficiently as long as you keep up on maintenance scrubbing the collection cup and emptying it in the sink 2x a day once in the morning and once at night and then scrubbing the collection cup after

Or this it could sit behind the weir in a aio or cube setup or in the sump but if you were to put this guy in the aio chamber it might not fit if u have a stock weir it would probably only fit in a custom interior overflow or aio kit and u may have to get a medium to large bioblock to raise it to desired water level

Or if u wanna avoid it all together u could run a hob and lose out on a small corner of tank space but some of these little guys pack a wallop

Just my 2 cents

I would go with these options but some of them won't fit in my ato chambers. Each chamber is maybe only 4 or 5 inches across so these might be a bit bulky. I was looking at this one but it doesn't seem the best

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you make per hour and how much time do you think it will take you to cobble some trash together into a properly functioning protein skimmer? Are you really saving anything here by making you own?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And even then it has to be precise as the water volume going into would be massive you would have to ensure mathematical precision with files gauges micrometers and efficient measurements with a tape measure a d possibly even acsess to a 3d printer and heat gun

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with these options but some of them won't fit in my ato chambers. Each chamber is maybe only 4 or 5 inches across so these might be a bit bulky. I was looking at this one but it doesn't seem the best

What about one of those mini hobs? Like I posted above

That one for 69$ is a good buy it comes with needle impeller and suction cups to a corner

So it's more like an in tank skimmer not in sump or hob

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean aio chambers? Not ato?
Lol. U can up the air pump and do dual air stones but this kind of skimmer prob won't do to well like others are saying. Please don't buy one of the $40> skimmers. They are Chinese crap.

Maybe a hang on back like the small small bubble magus or team rio?
D

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood air stone skimmers can work quite well... design matters so nobody can guess with that particular design. Some of them can work as well as a needle wheel and especially nano needle wheel skimmers. The skim mate can be dry, nasty and very potent.

However, those air stones do not last forever and are 6-10 dollars and probably need replaced every few months... so calculate that into your cost. If this is about money, then look for a high quality used skimmer.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glass reef tube skimmer sucks. The diameter of the tube is to small and after awhile it creates an air pocket rather than allowing water to enter the body of the skimmer.
My rant.
D

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the one I was thinking for my 6 gallon. The only reason I am leaning this way is because I just bought the Bubble Magus Z8 for my Reefer 170 and it's a beast and super easy to tune.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a common misconception alot of the time we chase numbers or focus on this or this or that and think we need a huge mammoth skimmer and alot of the time our nutes will bottom out at some point and you wont wanna run your skimmer in anything under 50g maybe on a timer

Bc in a closed system like a cube or aio sumpless or even a hob along as you keep up on weekly or daily wc(whatever your method may be) you may not actually want a skimmer depending on you bioload

What's the point on spending all kinds of hard earned money on things like aminos plankton nutes additives etc etc if your just gonna skim them out of the water colum

As long as fish bioload is in check and n and p are within propper range and your keeping up in sucking out the detritus changing out carbon and doing weekly to bi weekly water changes at bate minimum and dosing when needed you might not even need a skimmer until n and p spike and you get something like a turf algae or cyano or hair outbreak

But it's all personal preference rember high light low nutes higher ph high flow

Low light high nutes lower ph medium flow

But at the end of the day it's all personal preference and what your trying to grow and achieve in your system

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you make per hour and how much time do you think it will take you to cobble some trash together into a properly functioning protein skimmer? Are you really saving anything here by making you own?
I'm a kid. I make about 0 a day. I make my money off flipping items and trying my luck in stocks

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a kid. I make about 0 a day. I make my money off flipping items and trying my luck in stocks

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 113 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.7%
Back